Flair 58

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
gpapa31

#1: Post by gpapa31 »

Some of you have probably heard the rumours, some of you probably even know for a while and some may know nothing at all. Either way, I thought it would be a good time to create a thread about the new kid on the Lever Espresso Machine block. Apparently Flair have been working on it for a while now and they are ready to deliver soon a direct manual/no-boiler type of lever, touching almost on the same philosophy as their current line up but with a 58mm handle-type portafilter, better thermal management and a much more efficient and faster workflow. As you can imagine this is exciting news as it opens up the door to a whole world of third party upgrades and accessories in a manual lever market segment that was not possible before.

So, let's use this thread to share our thoughts and info as more details are being unraveled in the upcoming weeks/months.

Here is a first look

kruzilla

#2: Post by kruzilla »

*drool*

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
redbone

#3: Post by redbone »

Beyond industry standard and accessory availability there is no inherent magic with 58mm basket size. The opposite may be true. https://www.dallacorte.com/en/magazine- ... n-428.html
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

gpapa31 wrote:Some of you have probably heard the rumours... let's use this thread to share our thoughts and info as more details are being unraveled in the upcoming weeks/months.
I haven't, but seeing as you joined less than a week ago, would you elaborate on where you learned about this "new kid" and obtained this photo? I haven't seen any teaser photos from Flair or even any posts in Marketplace about it (disclosure: Flair Espresso is a site sponsor). Instagram? Newsletter? Other? As an aside, it may be a copyrighted photo, and if so, it shouldn't be reposted here without the creator's permission.

I ask these questions because back in 2019, I posted Friends, insiders, promoters, and influencers with the intent of encouraging transparency from contributors -- especially from those, like you, who have a limited site history. Thanks for the clarification. :D
Dan Kehn

kruzilla

#5: Post by kruzilla »

These were posted about a year ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/espresso/comme ... prototype/

https://imgur.com/gallery/7kCnIIL

Haven't seen anything since until OP posted that pic.

gpapa31 (original poster)

#6: Post by gpapa31 (original poster) »

HB wrote:I haven't, but seeing as you joined less than a week ago, would you elaborate on where you learned about this "new kid" and obtained this photo? I haven't seen any teaser photos from Flair or even any posts in Marketplace about it (disclosure: Flair Espresso is a site sponsor). Instagram? Newsletter? Other? As an aside, it may be a copyrighted photo, and if so, it shouldn't be reposted here without the creator's permission.

I ask these questions because back in 2019, I posted Friends, insiders, promoters, and influencers with the intent of encouraging transparency from contributors -- especially from those, like you, who have a limited site history. Thanks for the clarification. :D
The Flair 58 is not a state secret Dan, rumours have been circulating the web for almost a year now. I personally found out from one of the threads in this very forum (see 4th post in the link below) and then I followed the story and saw several leaked videos on Reddit with loads of speculations and rumours. Since then there have been numerous posts here, on Reddit and of course on FB. I am a member of Lever Fever, Flair, Cafelat Robot, La Pavoni and Home Barista FB groups and there is talk of it there as well. As far as the photo goes I found it on Lever Fever group and I checked with its owner and he said I have permission to use it if I want to. In general I refuse to use copyrighted material from people without their permission. So you can rest assure that this is legit.

As far as my "site history" goes. It may be limited as a member but I have been surfing and using the threads as an information oasis for my new hobby quite some time now. The discussions and debates in this forum and Coffeegeek have helped greatly in purchasing my first lever (Flair Classic) and my first grinder (C40 Comandante). I had to sell my lever later on since it did not suit my needs (it's more for travel) but it proved a good teacher as my first ever lever. Now I am more seriously looking something close to that type but far more house friendly and less caravanish. The Flair 58, Robot, La Pavoni and OE-1 along with a high end single dose grinder are the candidates for my next step, hence me joining the Forum now, since I am planning on spending serious money I need a more direct feedback on my search journey. After some search the past few days I found out there are threads for all those candidates apart for the Flair 58, so I thought why not create one so I and others can exchange info, rumours and debate in the same way as we do in the Robot, Strietman, Odyssey Espressn, La Pavoni and many other product threads. That's why they exist, right?

link: Manusso - new manual lever machine

Monsterzero

#7: Post by Monsterzero »

Looks like an interesting lever machine.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

gpapa31 wrote:...since I am planning on spending serious money I need a more direct feedback on my search journey.
Gotcha. Unfortunately, from time-to-time, we see new members who join under the guise of "asking for help" or "looking for more details" but are actually engaging in stealth promotion of an upcoming product announcement. Hence why we sometimes ask the member for a bit more background information. Thanks for the clarification.
Dan Kehn

gpapa31 (original poster)

#9: Post by gpapa31 (original poster) »

redbone wrote:Beyond industry standard and accessory availability there is no inherent magic with 58mm basket size. The opposite may be true. https://www.dallacorte.com/en/magazine- ... n-428.html
Did I say there was?

boren

#10: Post by boren »

I'm guessing this would cost as much as an entry level lever machine like the La Pavoni Europiccola which also includes a boiler (and steaming capability). I wonder who is the target audience of such a machine?

And BTW, I don't consider 58mm to be an advantage, other than the wider selection of accessories. In my experience the Quick Mill (58mm portafilter) is more prone to channeling than the Elektra (49mm) or the Flair Classic (40mm).