Flair 58 - Page 61

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
K7

#601: Post by K7 »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255171174143?h ... Sw2K9iBALr

Looks like they have since added a brand stamping - mine is plain.

Radio.YYZ

#602: Post by Radio.YYZ »

K7 wrote:I would think a puck screen is essential to avoid the sludgy mess. BTW, I've switched to a much thinner and lighter puck screen found on Ebay (similar to Aeropress metal filter) for reduced thermal mass and easier cleaning, a big win in my book.

Light roasts are just often more difficult to work with. If you haven't already, you might try slower pressure ramp up and not go above 5 bar. I have the Specialita and pull light roasts all the time with excellent results. ~15g on IMS E&B Superfine 14-16g basket. Factory "slow" basket works pretty well also.
Thanks for the input on the grinder.!
I am currently using an E61 machine to pull the shots, i find without the puck screen i am getting better results. But as you said the prep work is not exact each time so it could be user issue.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

EvanOz85

#603: Post by EvanOz85 »

I ditched the puck screen long ago, and just tamp an Aeropress paper filter on top of the bed. If you center the tamper just right, it creates a nice little paper "seal" around the edges. Works absolutely perfectly, and zero mess. I use this technique both on my Flair 58 and DE-1 XL.

MCal2003

#604: Post by MCal2003 »

K7 wrote:https://www.ebay.com/itm/255171174143?h ... Sw2K9iBALr

Looks like they have since added a brand stamping - mine is plain.
Not a really a thinner screen. Site notes 2mm thick. Stock Flair 58 measured: 2.06mm. Generic AMZ measured 1.76mm. Price is nice vs. stock and the generic I purchased at AMZ.
LMWDP #151

MCal2003

#605: Post by MCal2003 »

Me Bad. Site notes 0.2mm. So significantly thinner.
LMWDP #151

Radio.YYZ

#606: Post by Radio.YYZ »

MCal2003 wrote:Not a really a thinner screen. Site notes 2mm thick. Stock Flair 58 measured: 2.06mm. Generic AMZ measured 1.76mm. Price is nice vs. stock and the generic I purchased at AMZ.
Flair 58 puck screen that i have is about 1.8mm, measured with a caliper.
Generic amazon one i have is 1.7mm.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

renatoa

#607: Post by renatoa »

Is really this bling/gimmick edition featuring the most requested additions that were asked by undecided potential Flair buyers ?! :?
Still waiting for a 51mm version... all they have to do is to change the plunge taper, and PF mounting flange, for an existing generic PF, everything else remaining the same. Add a pressurized basket, to suit those without a grinder, call it Neo51, and check market reaction :D
I'll promise you a honest review, for free !

CoffeeLover32

#608: Post by CoffeeLover32 »

My temp controler died...anybody had bypass the controller till I get a replacement which may take forever considering I m far away from US?

MCal2003

#609: Post by MCal2003 »

The good is the part is available at a reasonable price before international shipping. Shipping times are so variable and inconsistent in our new times. I can understand your concern. I wouldn't risk jury rigging a bypass. Looked at the Flair website and could not find the grouphead under accessories. Kill the head and it probably means a new machine. About how many actual days of use did your temp controller last? Sure hope it's not a 1000 on/off cycles (ie. ~3years) and then dead.

For those with the latest "improved" model. If your temperature control unit goes do you need to replace the whole grouphead? One of the reasons I purchased the 58 was the modular design.
LMWDP #151

renatoa

#610: Post by renatoa »

They don't list the group head as an accessory, because for the other fla(ir)vors :D it is sold for second shot purpose.
The 58 machine with the heated group and new piston design allows second shot almost as easier as an open boiler lever. Almost... : )

Conversely, I would say instead: "list the head (as spare) and it probably means you killed the machine..."
I know a lot of people who built custom levers using the first generations flair parts ;)
Give me a head and you will have a Pavoni basket version asap :D