Flair 58 - Page 60

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
renatoa

#591: Post by renatoa »

How could be a shaking action different, better or worse, than what plowing performed by WDT ? :?

Jeff
Team HB

#592: Post by Jeff »

Shaking can have a tendency to unevenly compact the grinds on the scale of the container, as well as on the scale of granular attraction. Shaking also may not be as effective as mixing and homogenizing the grinds.

Edit: I'm not saying you have to WDT or can't shake. A lot will depend on your grinder, coffee, weather, and other technique, as well as pickiness about the end result.

renatoa

#593: Post by renatoa »

Mr. Bond would have a different opinion :D about shaking...

Well, we agree that this is a highly subjective "potato"... handled by each with his favorite tools...

Thanks to my grinder that no touch of the grounds is needed as they drop in the basket straight from the burrs.

MCal2003

#594: Post by MCal2003 »

Just a thought that arose while using the soil sieve. Shaking it. Less dense material, soil float to the top. Not sure if shaking a portafilter to distribute and level the coffee grounds results in a similar state. If so, how if any does it effect the quality of the shot. Sometimes we over think things too much.

Again, the bottomline. If you are pulling a desired shot. Who cares what does or doesn't work. Technique, hardware......
LMWDP #151

Radio.YYZ

#595: Post by Radio.YYZ »

Skimmed the thread briefly and looks like the newer batches have removed shower screen, new plunger design, and seems like low flow basket as well from retailer here.

I find the puck screen introduces a lot of channeling if the beans ground take up enough room that the screen sits a bit higher. I am probably going to ditch the screen for my light roasts.

My concern with flair 58 would be lack of shower screen on the model which makes the puck screen a crucial item, but if dose is high enough it may sit high in the basket and channeling would be guaranteed.

Anyone using light roasts have any issues with channeling with the showerscreen less model and with the included puck screen?
Anyone using Eureka mignon series grinder with the flair?
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

boren

#596: Post by boren »

Why would a high dosage induce channeling? From my experience it's the opposite.

Radio.YYZ

#597: Post by Radio.YYZ replying to boren »

The only theory i can come up with is that when there is high dosage the coffee sits high in the basket. As the basket gets marginally wider towards the top, there is a bigger gap around the puck screen where the water gushes through and the puck is seeing two paths of water and is possibly causing channeling. I have not done enough trials to confirm this.
Good Coffee: Technique/Knowledge > Grinder > Beans > Water > Machine

MCal2003

#598: Post by MCal2003 »

Relatively new F58 user. Find no channeling issues due to the puck screen. First machine used with a puck screen (pulling shots since '81). Purchased a screen for the MCal. Helps keep the grouphead screen cleaner. Only negative has been the operator being a dolt. Purchased some IMS Comp baskets for both the MCal and F58. Did not account for the thickness of the screen. Normal dose for the F58 is 16gm, MCal 14gm for doubles. Bit too tight a fit. Guessing zero head space. Should have upsized the baskets relative to the doses.

Just from my experience. Proper distribution and leveling eliminates channeling on manual and spring loaded lever machines. No sure why these machines are less prone to issues. Might be the gentle pre-infusion and pressure ramp up. The screen if anything should reduce channeling and without a grouphead dispersion screen is probably a necessity on the Flair models.
LMWDP #151

K7

#599: Post by K7 »

Radio.YYZ wrote:Skimmed the thread briefly and looks like the newer batches have removed shower screen, new plunger design, and seems like low flow basket as well from retailer here.

I find the puck screen introduces a lot of channeling if the beans ground take up enough room that the screen sits a bit higher. I am probably going to ditch the screen for my light roasts.

My concern with flair 58 would be lack of shower screen on the model which makes the puck screen a crucial item, but if dose is high enough it may sit high in the basket and channeling would be guaranteed.

Anyone using light roasts have any issues with channeling with the showerscreen less model and with the included puck screen?
Anyone using Eureka mignon series grinder with the flair?
I would think a puck screen is essential to avoid the sludgy mess. BTW, I've switched to a much thinner and lighter puck screen found on Ebay (similar to Aeropress metal filter) for reduced thermal mass and easier cleaning, a big win in my book.

Light roasts are just often more difficult to work with. If you haven't already, you might try slower pressure ramp up and not go above 5 bar. I have the Specialita and pull light roasts all the time with excellent results. ~15g on IMS E&B Superfine 14-16g basket. Factory "slow" basket works pretty well also.

boren

#600: Post by boren »

K7 wrote:I've switched to a much thinner and lighter puck screen found on Ebay (similar to Aeropress metal filter) for reduced thermal mass and easier cleaning, a big win in my book.
Can you share a link to the store you bought this screen from?