Flair 58 - Page 57

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
boren

#561: Post by boren »

I wasn't even aware that there are two versions of the portafilter. The one I have requires lifting the lever a bit to clear up space when attaching. I guess having the portafilter handle slanted could simplify things a bit, but it wasn't on my mind. At least it wasn't until now :wink:

I don't roast dark so not much to contribute there. I do like the espresso I'm getting with the Flair 58 very much.

DamianWarS

#562: Post by DamianWarS »

I order the 58 and I just opened it up today. at first, it looks a little intimidating since it was disassembled but it really was quite easy to set up. using it is also very intuitive and had no problems right out of the box. I was generally impressed with the workflow and the build quality, it really just took one shot for me to click with it. When I turned up the heater to max I really didn't expect the water to be bubbling in the chamber while I poured it in because everything was so hot which is very nice having a few other manual espresso units and this constant need to preheat everything. I just didn't expect the chamber to get that hot, I'm using 240v so I'm not sure if that is a factor. It's really nice that power supply is 100-240v because I'm a Canadian living and working in Asia and when I go home to visit family the options for coffee are only what I bring. The unit is big... but not too big and I could manage it in a suitcase. The workflow is really nice, I was pulling some back-to-back shots and accidentally grabbed my other machine's PF and I didn't even know I was using it until I finished the shot. Of course, I knew buying it that it was standard size but it's nice that it worked so seamlessly. With Flair's other models I'm been a little put-off and felt their excessive upgrading options and proprietary sizes were just customer-retention strategies to keep customers locked in their brand and I was suspicious of the 58 thinking it was too good to be true. But I don't feel that from the 58 at all and it's refreshing to see the company came out of this old model. Pulling the handle is super easy and an enjoyable experience. Flair's done an excellent job on this unit and I'm just sorry I didn't pick it up earlier.

DamianWarS

#563: Post by DamianWarS »

MCal2003 wrote:Looks like you received a 58 with the straight handle. I emailed Flair about the handle. Their response was a video work around and note that some are shipping with straight and others with the slanted handle. Broke out the wood carving tools. Cut ~1-2cm off and rasped in a beveled heel. It now just clears the lever arm when in the down position. They noted that under "accessories" the slanted portafilter are available, but one should specifically note in your order that's the style you want.
I have a DE1 and it has an additional handle coming out of the group for extra grip when securing the PF. I never liked the handle because it felt in the way, especially when steaming milk, so I've always had it off. it's a shorter handle but has the same thread as the PF which turns out to be the same thread on the Flair58 (must be standard). My Flair58 has the PF on an angle so it's not an issue with the lever but I don't have a lot of space to work with so I've put the short handle on the Flair PF. The PF fitting is a different design but it screws in fine and is secure plus makes it shorter. Incidentally, if I did have a straight fit on the Flair it's just enough clearance to not restrict the lever.

staymesso

#564: Post by staymesso »

Has anyone had issues with other portafilter fitting? I have another e61 from ECM and it doesn't seem to want to lock in

boren

#565: Post by boren »

Same here. The bottomless portafilter that I used with my (now sold) Quick Mill Alexia Evo refuses to lock into the Flair 58.

staymesso

#566: Post by staymesso »

You been able to pinpoint the problem? It's a bit upsetting given that the appeal of the 58 was comparability with 58mm tools and accessories...

boren

#567: Post by boren »

I haven't looked into it much, because I have no real reason to use my old portafilter over the one that comes with the Flair. It was a negative surprise though.

staymesso

#568: Post by staymesso »

Fair enough. I was hoping to be able to use this portafilter for the spouts in case I either split or a shot or (more often) pull a turbo and don't want a huge mess

DamianWarS

#569: Post by DamianWarS »

staymesso wrote:Has anyone had issues with other portafilter fitting? I have another e61 from ECM and it doesn't seem to want to lock in
I grabbed my DE1 PF by mistake and I didn't even notice until the shot was done that I was using it. It was a tighter fit but it still worked. On the DE1 the stock PF fits snug at 7 where the Flair58 fits perfect at 6. So the Flair PF is thinner in some way.

MCal2003

#570: Post by MCal2003 »

Tab thickness, pitch, position vary. Even the border dimensions of a "standard" 58mm basket can be different. YTubing info about the Flair 58 before purchasing ran across a video on the the Flair channel. End segment the presenter noted what to consider when deciding on an aftermarket portafilter holder. He noted a specific brand that works fine. Sorry don't remember. Video came out after Flair introduced the updated 58.

Tried a 58mm holder that came with my ancient '81 Gaggia. Not compatible. Short handle.
LMWDP #151