Flair 58 - Page 37

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bluenoser

#361: Post by Bluenoser »

rbh1515 wrote:Yep, it's optimal to get a kettle that will give you a precise temp.
I would be surprised if you could notice any difference between a cheapo kettle, right off the boil.. and a PID one that stops, somewhat close to 200F. By the time you transfer the water, do the preinfusion, etc.. you are going to be hard pressed to notice much of a difference. The big benefit of the manual lever is in controlling the contact time with the coffee by adjusting pressure. I think this is shown by the fact that we get great extractions now (with the Robot or ProV2) even though the temp may dip into the 180F region. This low a temp would be disaster on a 9-bar pump machine. So the Flair 58 does better to keep the temp of the brew water closer to what you want.. but it is still a manual system with human interactions taking seconds.. so the precision is limited (and too much precision is not required)

mthan

#362: Post by mthan »

After putting my name down to reserve a Flair 58 from a local supplier, I was asked by them whether I wanted the electric or non-electric version. Makes me think the non-electric version is for real.

malling

#363: Post by malling »

Is there anyone who got a hand on one yet... I where supposed to have gotten one, but pulled the plug as It would have set me back a noticeable amount more then buying locally, so have ordered one through there. But won't get it till the end of july.

So would be interesting to hear from real users and not just IG an YouTubers who got it for free.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#364: Post by Brewzologist »

+1 on that. Hoping that some of the experts on H-B will be reviewing soon too.

YeetSkeeterson

#365: Post by YeetSkeeterson »

+2

Lancehedrick

#366: Post by Lancehedrick »

Hey!
Although I am now, as of 3 months ago, a "YouTuber," I feel quite confident in my ability to speak to the machine. I'm happy to answer questions if my validity is accepted. No hurt feelings if not!

aDNers

#367: Post by aDNers »

@lancehedrick is this your daily driver still? (And I actually though this would be a great upgrade to pair with my nanofoamer so really love that video.) Also - any thoughts on the, perhaps existing, cordless version? Would it make sense?

rbh1515

#368: Post by rbh1515 »

Bluenoser wrote:I would be surprised if you could notice any difference between a cheapo kettle, right off the boil.. and a PID one that stops, somewhat close to 200F. By the time you transfer the water, do the preinfusion, etc.. you are going to be hard pressed to notice much of a difference. The big benefit of the manual lever is in controlling the contact time with the coffee by adjusting pressure. I think this is shown by the fact that we get great extractions now (with the Robot or ProV2) even though the temp may dip into the 180F region. This low a temp would be disaster on a 9-bar pump machine. So the Flair 58 does better to keep the temp of the brew water closer to what you want.. but it is still a manual system with human interactions taking seconds.. so the precision is limited (and too much precision is not required)
I've been putting water in at 203F. Has been making excellent espresso! Have not had time to get my Scace out to test out the effect of putting different temp water in the chamber.

Alchemist

#369: Post by Alchemist »

Brewzologist wrote:+1 on that. Hoping that some of the experts on H-B will be reviewing soon too.
I just posted my Flair 58 Review
John Nanci
Alchemist at large
LMWDP #013

K7

#370: Post by K7 »

This thread is surprisingly quiet!

Today Flair announced a modified design for the 58, effective for October shipments (for presale now):

- The shower screen is gone and the mesh puck filter is now part of the baseline product.
- Plunger/gauge is redesigned so you don't have to take it out to pour in the water.
- A brew head funnel to ensure ease of filling with the valve plunger

Owners of the original design may purchase a upgrade kit later.

Seems like a nice update. I like that they keep on improving.