Flair 58 - Page 23

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Bluenoser

#221: Post by Bluenoser »

tompoland wrote:Um ... no. Sorry but that's a rather large oversimplification. Londinium is just one of innumerable options and based on the Decent community message board it would not be in the top 5 of most commonly used presents.
Yes.. I would agree.. I don't think I have access to the Decent message board.. but my point was that many of the newer profiling mods/machines often will encourage new users to use preinfusion and the simple declining pressure profile to compensate for the eroding puck, which is built into spring lever machines, and needs to be manually controlled through the Flair. So while the Decent offers just an amazing multitude of ways to experiment with extraction, Londinium is one of the more popular profiles that I have seen used recently as I watch and read some of the Decent stuff.. For instance in this vid. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhlxEfa2bOM, john mentions it as one of the better profiles that gets good results from light roasts.. And mostly because of the way it does preinfusion..

My point, which I didn't make well, is that I'm finding that the extractions with the Robot, compare very favourably to my 9-bar pump machine, and can allow more control in areas such as preinfusion, and in declining the pressure .. The Flair 58 may provide additional benefits with lighter roasts assuming the brew water can stay hotter and be better controlled. The quality of these newer manual machines (Robot/Flair) have converted me from the traditional pump designs to moving to a lever because of the lower cost, simplicity of use & maintenance and because it stills gives me 'good-enough' extractions so that I can play around with a variety of beans.

But certainly the Decent allows for controlling extraction variables in ways a lever cannot. But if you are mostly using one of the built-in lever style profiles, something like the Flair 58 might be a viable alternative.

bakafish

#222: Post by bakafish »

The temperature test is interesting. The water closer to the top of the chamber is significantly hotter than at the bottom.

https://imgur.com/a/wnDchhb

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#223: Post by Brewzologist »

bakafish wrote:video
The temperature test is interesting. The water closer to the top of the chamber is significantly hotter than at the bottom.
You may wish to read a few pages back in this thread where his test method was discussed.

bakafish

#224: Post by bakafish replying to Brewzologist »

Sorry, I didn't see that. As this video was uploaded on April 10, I didn't look at the posts before this date.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#225: Post by Brewzologist »

More discussion on those temperature tests located here too:

Flair Espresso news

bakafish

#226: Post by bakafish replying to Brewzologist »

Thank you. I rarely go to the Marketplace.

I don't think the water temperature difference at the top and bottom resulted from the probe touching the shower screen because this type of thermometer is not sensitive for a solid metal surface. The probe is hollow. The real sensor is in the probe so it measures the probe's temperature, not only the tip temperature of the probe. Yes, the water temperature in the blind basket should be much lower, but if the heater is at the bottom of the group chamber around the shower screen, when you see the water is boiling as the the video clip at 7:23, the temperature shows on the thermometer should not be that low. The only reason is that the heater is at the upper part of the group chamber so that only the top water is directly heated.

I have a 12V, 120W immersion heater like this:

I had tried it to heat the water in the Portaspresso Rossa PG. It is not long enough so the water at the bottom part was not directly heated. When the upper part was boiling, the temperature of the bottom part was much lower. Exactly the same as the video clip.

vit

#227: Post by vit »

I think that blind basket didn't have influence, except if he poured cold water into it before mounting PF to the machine (not likely). On Classic, if you plug the opening of the portafilter, water isn't passing to the basket (or very little), because it increases the air pressure in it which doesn't allow more water to pass, while the holes in the shower screen are small enough to prevent air bubbles to go from basket to cylinder, which would allow more water to enter the basket. Could be different here if those holes are bigger, but from the video, it didn't look like that ...

K7

#228: Post by K7 »

Xris used his own Pesado portafilter that "weighs a metric $%&! ton" (his words) in his temp test. I'm guessing it wasn't heated well enough and sucked a lot of heat once he poured in the water. While the data is interesting, I would wait for more tests from others, preferably with the Flair PF and a realistic flow.

wachuko

#229: Post by wachuko »

I was trying to find the power rating for the Flair 58? I could not find official numbers at https://flairespresso.com/flair-58-first-look/ ? Wattage? :?:
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654

Jonk

#230: Post by Jonk »

wachuko wrote:I was trying to find the power rating for the Flair 58? I could not find official numbers at https://flairespresso.com/flair-58-first-look/ ? Wattage? :?:
24V 90W: Flair Espresso news