Flair 58 - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by Brewzologist »

Hoping the base will be designed differently than earlier models to accommodate a variety of different scales.

EDIT: And hoping the design of the new lever mechanism will allow for more ease, smoothness and control for those of us who obsess over our pressure profiles. :)

Bluenoser

#22: Post by Bluenoser »

DaveB wrote:Cord?!?
Perhaps the piston is electrically heated so that it does not immediately draw the heat from the kettle water? This would overcome the one major drawback of the existing Flair/Robot. It only needs to be heated somewhere between 150-200F, I would think. With this improvement I might think it could rival any electric machine with an experienced user.

K7

#23: Post by K7 »

I'm very intrigued so I joined the Flair FB group over the weekend to find more info. This thing is real apparently -- official reveal later this month and sales (not pre-order) beginning mid-April.

I have to see how it all works in coming weeks, but this seems like a step in the right direction for my ideal espresso machine at home:

- no steamer, no boiler, no pumps and valves ---> We don't drink cappa/lattes. I can boil, pour water, and apply force just fine, thank you.

- electrically heated group so we can dispense with manual preheating rituals which may not even be enough for some light roasts

Early report of max temp numbers sounds great (maybe even slightly too high for most coffees). What is important (to me at least) and unclear is how much temp control we have and how consistent it is. I see three LED lights on the wire thing in the photo so maybe they have some basic adjustment setting and status indicator built in?

renatoa

#24: Post by renatoa »

"...real apparently..."

[UPDATE: video no longer available]

... if not real then we have a good deep fake case :)

MarcoG

#25: Post by MarcoG »

Looks like also The Lever Magazine has a front facing picture of the new Flair 58

No idea if they also have other pictures as well
https://thelevermag.com

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#26: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Certainly creative rethinking of how to heat and add water.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by Brewzologist »

• I like the handle design in the video, which hopefully will improve the ease of controlling pressure during a pull.
  • Will be good to learn how the 3 heater settings work. Would rather have a dial to select a specific temperature and have the group head hold it
  • Looks like my scale will fit!
Hopefully Dr. Gary or other experts at HB will get one soon and provide yet another excellent review for us. I will certainly volunteer to be a HB review tester! :D

Ken5

#28: Post by Ken5 »

Interesting! Looking forward to seeing people's thoughts once they use it.

renatoa

#29: Post by renatoa »

It seems Flair decided to make video private... sorry guys, just the messenger ...

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#30: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

For those that missed it, the Flair 58 has a cord with 3 settings for pre heat. In addition, there is a "latch" that connects the handle to a "pressure plate". You disconnect the latch, remove the plate and pour in the water. You then replace the plate and engage the latch, and pull the lever.

For the few that saw it feel free to explain it better.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart