Flair 58 - Page 20

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
renatoa

#191: Post by renatoa »

Don't forget you have to pack also the kettle in that space :D

malling

#192: Post by malling replying to renatoa »

I often toss a travel kettel in my checked in luggage when travelling around Europe. Something there is no way around if you intend to take that thing with you, unless of cause, you only want to use the clothing your wearing.

However you would definitely need to find room for a handgrinder and beans in your carry on.

vit

#193: Post by vit »

If traveling by plane for a few days, I don't even think about carrying 3-4kg of coffee gear with me

If traveling by car, packing assembled Flair takes less space than dissembling it and taking it in the case as I don't need to take an extra item (the case) and other stuff just fits around it in the suitcase. But even then I don't bother with kettle which I don't need even at home. A small all-in-one cezve used for preheating the cylinder and heating the water is a) much smaller b) faster c) has temperature as precise as the most expensive kettles out there by simple temperature surfing method ... and its precision is certainly better than the precision of the temperature of preheated cylinder which depends a lot on the timing ... generally, with that simple gear, I'm almost always within about 1°C tolerance of required brew temperature ...

TheDandyGiraffe

#194: Post by TheDandyGiraffe »

There's always the issue of trains and coaches, where the weight is not necessarily an issue (obviously only to a point, but you don't have any strict arbitrary weight limit), but the space and general ergonomics still matter. Personally I'm ready to take 4-5kg of coffee gear with me on a train, but only if I can disassemble everything so it doesn't take too much space.

renatoa

#195: Post by renatoa »

malling wrote:The problem is that you probably would want it more protected then that, ...
Aren't clothing around enough protection?
Do you prefer a custom case with a lot of foam filling the precious space around the machine, instead useful stuff ? :?

malling

#196: Post by malling replying to renatoa »

That really depends on how well they made it. I have traveled with enough fragile equipment, and clothing just doesn't offer much protection and have limited vibration damping or impact absorption properties.

Personally I prefer that my stuff make the journey rather then thinking in packing as much stuff possible in a smallest possible space, and then it's not exactly very hygienic.

There is also the insurance/guarantee part of it, I personally don't think you would stand on solid ground if you only packed it in clothing, I know they also take such things into considerations if something should happen.

They also advised you to use it in pelican case or similar foamed travelcase if you went ahead and travelled with.

Chrikelnel

#197: Post by Chrikelnel »

Serious question, do you guys usually bring espresso equipment when you fly? Sounds like a pain if you're going to be moving from place to place often. I have a robot which I'll take up to my cabin if I'm going to be up there for more than a few days, but that's just by car. To me part of the fun of visiting a new place is trying the cafes.

mborkow
Supporter ♡

#198: Post by mborkow replying to Chrikelnel »

I also do not understand this thread's obsessing over how portable the 58 is. It was not designed to travel.

boren

#199: Post by boren »

I find that even the smaller and designed-to-be-portable Flair Classic is just too big to take with me when travelling. I almost always never do and much prefer the Handpresso for this purpose. I've been travelling with it (and a Hario Mini grinder) for years. The Nanopresso is also ok, but I use it less often. Both don't provide espresso that can match the Flair, but one that's clearly better than what is served in most hotels.

BTW, a few months ago I bought a 1Zpresso JX Pro grinder to replace the Hario, but alas, no travelling with the pandemic still around. Maybe I should try it with the Handpresso and imagine that I'm travelling abroad ;-)

robeambro

#200: Post by robeambro »

Apologies for the perhaps daft question - which may also be trite - however, I might find myself "downgrading" from my current setup later in the year. Is there any kind of data or anecdotal evidence on how well can a manual lever (I understand the Flair 58 is new, but I would imagine that an older Flair *used correctly* would have the same potential for quality in the cup) do at extracting very light roasts, than a flow control E61 machine. I suppose one could reduce dose and thereby achieve higher ratios, but I am trying to understand if all else equal, I am going to have a "ceiling" when it comes to extraction* I can achieve with a Flair vs eg a Bianca.

*and yes, I fully understand that higher extraction is not always better, but I like the idea of being able to enjoy very light roasts and their floral notes once in a while, and I am keen to understand whether this is achievable.