Flair 58 - Page 19

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
dreadnatty08

#181: Post by dreadnatty08 »

Sprometheus review, looks pretty solid!

TheDandyGiraffe

#182: Post by TheDandyGiraffe »

I still can't find a clear answer to the question I'm probably most interested in - is it still portable in any meaningful way? Obviously the footprint is much larger and the frame seems more robust and heavy, but can I still assemble and dissasemble it quickly? Is there, or will there be, a dedicated carrying case?

I know they're shifting towards being the primary at-home espresso driver and all that; what I'm interested in is whether they've given up on portability altogether.

vit

#183: Post by vit »

Yeah - just spotted it. Nice and detailed review with some close up looks to previously unrevealed parts

Shower screen a bit on smaller side, something like 40mm in diameter, reminding me to the one on my cheap DeLonghi, so additional mesh or filter paper on the puck indeed necessary (like on DeLonghi)
Yield 50-55 ml as we already know
Piston still swivels a bit during the pull, but looks much smoother than in Pro

malling

#184: Post by malling »

TheDandyGiraffe wrote:I still can't find a clear answer to the question I'm probably most interested in - is it still portable in any meaningful way? Obviously the footprint is much larger and the frame seems more robust and heavy, but can I still assemble and dissasemble it quickly? Is there, or will there be, a dedicated carrying case?

I know they're shifting towards being the primary at-home espresso driver and all that; what I'm interested in is whether they've given up on portability altogether.
They have kinda answered that question on the Zoom meeting on Instagram, it's not meant to be used as a travel espresso brewer, the base is screwed to the stand that holds the brewhead, it's also hefty and somewhat bigger, it's meant to be a home brewer, they won't offer a travel case for it or any other solution to improve transportability, but as they say it's possible to do so if one really wants too, but advice a pelican case if you do use it outside it's intended use. They recommend to get the other flair version if you desire is to travel, as they find this to be to big, heavy and not nearly as easy to dismantled and its not suitable for air travel as it's to big as carry on.

As he says, most people never travel with their flair, so that meant that they didn't have to restrict themselves in the design to make it travel friendly, as travel abilities where not require by most users.

Flair Espresso
Sponsor

#185: Post by Flair Espresso »

TheDandyGiraffe wrote:I still can't find a clear answer to the question I'm probably most interested in - is it still portable in any meaningful way? Obviously the footprint is much larger and the frame seems more robust and heavy, but can I still assemble and dissasemble it quickly? Is there, or will there be, a dedicated carrying case?

As Mikkel relayed from my livestream last week, there's no current plan to design a case. As for quick assembly/disassembly, unlike the other models that can brew without fastening hardware, the 58 will require that you install and tighten down two screws that slot up from below the base and into the press stand assembly. The screws are ss while the press stand is diecast aluminum, and we therefore would caution against breaking down and building back up often less risking the potential to cross thread and strip out the taps.

Cheers,

Flair Espresso
Sponsor

#186: Post by Flair Espresso »

vit wrote:Yeah - just spotted it. Nice and detailed review with some close up looks to previously unrevealed parts

Shower screen a bit on smaller side, something like 40mm in diameter, reminding me to the one on my cheap DeLonghi, so additional mesh or filter paper on the puck indeed necessary (like on DeLonghi)
Yield 50-55 ml as we already know
Piston still swivels a bit during the pull, but looks much smoother than in Pro
actually the shower screen measures 49.75mm and is pressed fit while the hole pattern spacing is 44mm from edge to edge, which happens to be the same for my DE1+ stock screen coincidentally.

vit

#187: Post by vit »

Thanks for the correction. Looked indeed a bit smaller on the video, I suppose because cylinder base is much larger ...

renatoa

#188: Post by renatoa »

TheDandyGiraffe wrote:I still can't find a clear answer to the question I'm probably most interested in - is it still portable in any meaningful way?
Probably the attached image should give you the most "ilustrative" answer.

The trolley is from the smallest line, those allowed for cabin by most airlines, 55x40x22 cm outer dimensions.
Tried to scale the Flair as exactly as I could to the suitcase dimensions.
Now I want to show us how you "fill in the blanks" all your travel stuff :)

malling

#189: Post by malling replying to renatoa »

The problem is that you probably would want it more protected then that, and there can be quite a difference between outer dimensions and inner dimensions, allot of these trolleys are losing quite a bit of space due to the wheels, handle etc. I think you would find it a bit more difficult then this. Allot of things that aren't in harmonious shape like this one tend to be allot more difficult to pack then one would think looking only at the dimensions.

And more and more airlines are changing the dimensions, several in Europe don't even allow the 40cm in with. So the advice is typically to not exceed 35cm as that would allow you take it with on all planes except Ryanair and one other where you need to buy a more expensive ticket or else your only allowed under seat luggage.

Jonk

#190: Post by Jonk »

renatoa wrote:Probably the attached image should give you the most "ilustrative" answer.

The trolley is from the smallest line, those allowed for cabin by most airlines, 55x40x22 cm outer dimensions.
Tried to scale the Flair as exactly as I could to the suitcase dimensions.
Now I want to show us how you "fill in the blanks" all your travel stuff :)
That right there is dedication :mrgreen: