Flair 58 Review - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pupperino714
Supporter

#11: Post by pupperino714 »

[quote="sosha"]
I agree the tray is a bit of a mystery. Someone with 3D printing skills could create a better one, with a cut-out for an açaia scale.[/quote]

The idea was for scales to be used without a tray. The drip tray is for those that don't. This is from Andrew--Flair spokes. Cuz you just easily cut off flow lifting the lever and then purge into your next cup. I haven't used it at all.

What do you think a better 3D printed tray would look like?

ygryzlov

#12: Post by ygryzlov »

I didn't find the tray to be a major annoyance really. If you have a lunar scale - it fits perfectly well there and nothing is sliding anywhere. I'm much more frustrated by the look of the preheat controller / power supply (I hide it every time, since I only drink espresso once a day - not a big deal, just a part of the morning routine). Those two things look as an afterthought, but it works just fine. Even when I'm not too perfect at dialing in my grind settings, frankly somehow I'm still able to pull a good tasty shot!
YeetSkeeterson wrote:I have been experimenting with the 15g dose, 6-7 bar pressure, at 15 second pulls, and the repeatability is basically clone-like, I think this will apply to all levers with a shower screen and/or paper filter.
I should try this! Thanks for sharing.

Raglo

#13: Post by Raglo »

OP could please explain how you measure the temperature? Also how long was the chamber on and heating before to did the temperature check?

whyz

#14: Post by whyz »

Alchemist,
I am having the same problem that you'd had with your flair water chamber rotating. You've mentioned there was a loose screw that needed tightening. I cannot find where that screw is. I have taken off the water chamber and the only screw I can see is the one that tightens the water chamber to the machine on the outside. Do I need to take off the rubber seal around the chamber?
Thanks

pupperino714
Supporter

#15: Post by pupperino714 »

That's the screw you need to tighten, silver screw in front. No removal of seals required.

MCal2003

#16: Post by MCal2003 replying to pupperino714 »

Same issue. The screw was really loose. Relatively small screw. Firm, not over tight torque. Hasn't moved since.

One thing that has been rotating off center is the piston/valve assembly. Initially the notches are centered (12 and 5 o'clock). Has rotated either direction ~20 degrees. No functional issue. Just a niggle.
LMWDP #151

boren

#17: Post by boren »

The piston also rotates in my Flair 58. Every now and then I use a couple of chopsticks (and some effort) to rotate it back. They should make update the design to prevent this.

The tray on the other models is indeed better thought out. I wonder why they moved away from it. I use a riser wooden board to put my scale on.

The silicone funnel looks like an afterthought and I don't personally see the need (though I am pulling only singles). Does anyone really use it?

All in all the Flair 58 is a great machine and the only thing I'm missing from my now-sold Elektra Microcasa Leva is the eagle ;-)

K7

#18: Post by K7 »

My piston also rotates slowly over time. Not a big issue, but I found a solution. When you purge after a shot, deliberately position the plunger stem just a tad off-angle (e.g. 5 degrees) before connecting the lever hook and purge. As you press down the lever, the plunger stem will naturally rotate back on-angle and in the process undo the small amount of piston rotation you incurred during the shot. I don't do this on every purge; just do it as needed.

MCal2003

#19: Post by MCal2003 »

boren wrote:The piston also rotates in my Flair 58. Every now and then I use a couple of chopsticks (and some effort) to rotate it back. They should make update the design to prevent this.

The tray on the other models is indeed better thought out. I wonder why they moved away from it. I use a riser wooden board to put my scale on.

The silicone funnel looks like an afterthought and I don't personally see the need (though I am pulling only singles). Does anyone really use it?

All in all the Flair 58 is a great machine and the only thing I'm missing from my now-sold Elektra Microcasa Leva is the eagle ;-)
Phew! I guess the rotating piston is normal not a defect in the machine I purchased. When it drives me nuts I just recenter using the tab on the pressure gauge assembly. Rotates easily back to center if the valve is all the way in the up position.

Still kept the MCal. The "weekend" machine.
LMWDP #151

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by Brewzologist »

FYI; Flair just released an inexpensive plunger key to reset the piston after it rotates.