Fitting Londinium no-grease seals [video]

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
fransg

#1: Post by fransg »

Since these are 'slippery when wet' on purpose, no need for grease but plenty of water helps for a smooth fitting.
★ Helpful

MB

#2: Post by MB »

Since these work without silicone grease, what's recommended to remove the existing grease before installing the first time?
LMWDP #472

fransg (original poster)

#3: Post by fransg (original poster) »

Citrus solvent or acetone or any degreaser of your choosing.
I also used the soap we use to clean the shower screen.
Rinse thoroughly under fresh running water as usual.

Even when using the traditional seals a cleaning in between sets of seals is advisable.

Mad Scientist

#4: Post by Mad Scientist »

Where do you get the slip-on tool?
“You haven't lived until you've lived with a cat.” Doris Day

fransg (original poster)

#5: Post by fransg (original poster) replying to Mad Scientist »

Tije, a friend who is also known for his Pavoni cooling fins, made this one for me.

He recently made another for someone else:

Much work on the lathe, big piece of solid aluminum used. Not cheap.

By the way, I thought my lever went smooth but now after I cleaned the sleeve first with citric acid, then with Jif, the lever is as if moving through whipped cream.

There were two tiny visible spots hardly noticeable to the fingertip but after I softly wiped these a while with Jif and wiped the entire inside carefully and thoroughly the piston moves like it does not feel a thing.

pizzaman383
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by pizzaman383 »

Has anyone found a way to buy these seals without doubling the cost because of the shipping fees?
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

harris

#7: Post by harris replying to pizzaman383 »

Last I looked shipping charges were not correct for gaskets and seals as they ship from a different location, send Reiss an email to get the correct shipping charge. Or place an order, as I did, and a large percentage of the shipping fee will be refunded.

fransg (original poster)

#8: Post by fransg (original poster) »

pizzaman383 wrote:Has anyone found a way to buy these seals without doubling the cost because of the shipping fees?
Not to promote any business here, but in the UK you can buy them from a person who sends them on normal local mail, in the Netherlands / EU that is possible as well and in NZ of course Reiss can send them (or even deliver them if you live around the corner). So that saves you the long distance shipping cost / customs hassle depending on where you live.

fransg (original poster)

#9: Post by fransg (original poster) »

harris wrote:Or place an order, as I did, and a large percentage of the shipping fee will be refunded.
exactly

Beanz

#10: Post by Beanz »

There does not seem to be much information on these seals. What material are these seals made from?