Faema Velox - eye candy - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
patrickff

#11: Post by patrickff »

That is seriously pretty!
Thank you for posting all the images.
LMWDP #753

BaristaBoy E61

#12: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

turboyeast wrote:ps. more eye candy from my Velox on the video below (a sh**ty extraction by the way, but entertaining enough).

Thanks for posting this mesmerizing video. Looks like it was shot in Space; the 'Coffee' equivalent of a Solar Flare or a Coronal Mass Ejection of the Sun.

Now back to Earth...
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

turboyeast (original poster)

#13: Post by turboyeast (original poster) »

LS.,
After some time it's good to do a (small) update.
Due to the hydraulics of the Velox (continuous line/brew pressure on the boiler/pistonseals), a notorious familiar problem is rusted springs. So I worked on some small improvements. Firstly, I replaced the standard spring with stainless. Quite a journey to find one, but Brooks espresso machines helped me out. Secondly, I cut a standard W-seal in two, giving me two thin V-seals (thus double top sealing). --> problem solved.

Due to the replacement of the spring and others, my espresso came out awfully sour. I used a SCACE device to monitor the outgoing water temperature, and it was far to low. Therefore I squeezed the water inletvalve (less cold water entering the boiler) and incrementally adjusted the thermostate untill the outgoing water temperature reached the desired temprature (approx 195 F).

Great stuff....

Cheers, TY

Paolo

#14: Post by Paolo »

Ingenious stuff, Ty!
How did you manage to cut the w-seal in two? (The skills of a surgeon!)

Well done!
How do shots compare now to other vintage levers that you have known and loved? :D

Cheers,
Paolo