Faema Urania -- too good to be true: beware phishing scam

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cedar

#1: Post by cedar »

I think this is BS.

https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld ... 10629.html

https://www.faemaurania.com/

They send a long story about in the military, about to ship out overseas, just got divorced, they are very honest.... on and on. It looked like a scam but I cautiously contacted them. They want to communicate only through gmail.

Eventually they send an invoice and google flags it as a phishing scam.

Note the label on the bag the element is from bombora supplies in Australia.

If anyone else has seen this, beware.

s

IamOiman

#2: Post by IamOiman »

I report it whenever I see it, that was an Urania that was sold from a collector named George in Australia months ago. Kind of wild this kind of thing happens, although I am getting so entrenched in the collector world that I often recognize most listed machines by this point (refer back to me knowing where the actual Urania was from) and can almost immediately tell if it's fake after asking a few contacts if I don't know right away.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Paolo

#3: Post by Paolo »

HAAAAA!!!!!

I bought that very machine around this time in 2020.....and still have it!

It is indeed a scam.

cedar (original poster)

#4: Post by cedar (original poster) »

Ryan I looked all over for photos of that to check, including using some of the images in a Google image search, but didn't find any. But it stunk of scam from the outset.

Thanks both of you for confirming.

Lovely machine you have Paolo.

IamOiman

#5: Post by IamOiman »

Paolo wrote:I bought that very machine around this time in 2020.....and still have it!
damn don't tell me a year has already passed!
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

cedar (original poster)

#6: Post by cedar (original poster) »

it's also for sale in California...

https://modesto.craigslist.org/atq/d/mo ... 82761.html

TallDan

#7: Post by TallDan »

I saw a very similar CL ad that pointed to the same website 6-12 months ago. Listed as being in Chicago. I was a little surprised to see such an unusual item being used for a scam, but I suppose it works.

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
thirdcrackfourthwave

#8: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

What's not to like, it is a "suburb (sic) investment opportunity?"

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Marcelnl »

I'd report it, also to their ISP as that website clearly is a scam. I recently came a cross a high end audio scammer, similar to this...when he did not agree to using paypal or a CC and a cash at pick up (which meant a 6 hour drive one way) was a no go I knew enough.
I hate this crap as law enforcement seems unwilling and or inactive so it goes on and on..
LMWDP #483