Faema Urania Refurb

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman

#1: Post by IamOiman »

This thread is for a Faema Urania I just purchased and is in process to being shipped. I am making this thread now to document the process as it is the first time I am arranging for my own transportation rather than the seller providing it.

I also thought it would be useful to note the process with dealing with VCarola, also know as Piero. I was introduced to him during my Faema President purchase by TomC and got on his distribution list. I reached out to him directly when I saw a machine listed by him I was trying to purchase for a while now, a late series Faema Urania. There were a few other Uranias I was looking at but no deal was reached for them. Prior to this I knew through secondary sources he was a 'legit' seller but rarely would part with anything below its value.

Today I thought I did decent for what I paid for. The Urania is complete and even has the original backlight. It includes the Anfin grinder as well. I intend to just do a cleaning on the inside. In fact it looks so good I may not even have the frame powdercoated. I am hardly seeing any rust in the pics. Therefore this will not be a restoration but a refurbishment :D

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
IamOiman (original poster)

#2: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

A little history on the machine

It was originally used (or at least displayed) in a small trattoria in the Torino region before it was placed in storage. The interesting thing to note is the machine was stored in a kitchen for a long time but it had a blanket covering it the whole time. I bet that was a contributing factor in its preservation. It may look like the pipes have been descaled but I think that is the room lighting as the seller said he never touched the machine outside of the photos he took. To reinforce how original the machine is you can see the original wiring below the frame for both the heating element and back light appear to never have been connected (or perhaps the plug was snipped).

I'll admit I am pretty giddy right now and I hope I can get it over to the US without too much hassle and pain.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Glad to see you're starting yet another thread Ryan.

I'm always deeply interested in all your restoration work.

Thanks for posting and involving us in your endeavours.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

cskorton

#4: Post by cskorton »

Wow! Absolutely gorgeous machine and looking forward to seeing the restoration! Very exciting for you I'm sure.

It's interesting to me how similar the body shape of the Victoria Arduino Eagle One Prima is to this machine. Very cool to see.

#5: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Yea I am still pretty giddy even three days later

Transportation is being worked out still. Directly requesting a quote from the big shipping companies directly has so far yielded nothing below $1000. However a contact suggested trying out a shipping agent/forwader, and with the initial estimates it looks much more promising. I am hoping the quote can be implemented soon and I'll go more into that and what I had to do for documents if it works out.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

Great find and in apparent good condition as well! Looking forward to your posting on the process!
LMWDP #483

Ad-85

#7: Post by Ad-85 »

Looking forward to reading all your updates. Leave nothing please.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
jwCrema
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by jwCrema »

I would be a mess over fretting about its packaging for shipment. Hope you find someone who understands what that machine truly is and will spend the time needed.

#9: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

This is not the actual crate it will be shipped in but essentially the same type. The third photo is a different person who purchased a different machine from him a while back over in Kaffee-Netz. It appears well wrapped and you can see styrofoam on the side. I would say the seller appreciates the machines, he does not like calling them 'macchine caffè' but rather 'opere d'arte'. He has his crates ordered and made by a specific company but they decided to stop making them for an unknown reason, so he is waiting for some new ones to be made and will send me some pics of it when they arrive to him within a week.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

#10: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

So I am just about wrapped up with shipping preparations, and it took a few steps.

I decided to use Speedshift from the UK. They are going to ship from Italy to the UK, then from the UK to me as they do not ship directly to me. This will therefore be two separate shipments but even so it runs out to be about $660, which is far cheaper that what I found prior (and I know others out there can get it for even cheaper). Once I got a Speedshift representative they were very helpful in assisting me and informing me what information I needed to provide. I now have a UK EORI number too and had to request the EORI number from the seller since the first leg technically is a shipment within the EU/UK

I had to provide a UK contact for a 'delivery' but what I belive will happen is the package will remain in Speedshift's hands and go directly to me. This is something I guess I will find out if that is what happens in the meanwhile.

Pickup from Italy is scheduled on Tuesday, and hopefully it gets over here relatively on time!

-Ryan
LMWDP #612