Faema Urania Refurb - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Nonprophet

#11: Post by Nonprophet »

Wow! What a gorgeous classic!!
"Chop your own wood--it will warm you twice."

LMWDP #522

IamOiman (original poster)

#12: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

After nearly a month after first buying it's here!!

It got to my British contact without issue and it was picked up quickly after for the second leg.

The delay in shipment was due to US customs holding the machine because it was a formal clearance event (it just passed $2500 threshold with the shipping costs on the invoice). After going back and forth with FedEx, who bought TNT (Speedshift created the shipment with them) and is in charge of their shipments in the US, they asked me to submit a CBP 5106 form. This form is known as the Importer Identity Form, and it contains my information like address, name, contact info, etc for Customs and Border Protection to use for cataloguing all commercial/formal imports in their system.

I also needed to reiterate the manufacturer and their address (which in this case is Gruppo Cimbali's address since FAEMA is a subsidiary of them these days) in Italy.

With the provided info and the submitted form confirmed, it cleared customs yesterday and got here around 11am today! In the future since CBP has my info I will not need to submit another CBP 5106 form unless any info like an address changes. Now for the unboxing!

The package was considered Oversized by FedEx, and was therefore delivered by their Freight department with a tail lift and pallet cart. The crate survived pretty well outside of a small dink on the bottom that did not damage anything fortunately. It took me some time getting the top off as it was nailed in and all I had was a big flathead screwdriver and mallets. It popped off eventually.

I would say it was pretty well packed to prevent movement of the contents inside. The seller was smart enough to take off the glass during shipment and so far with checking everything no damage during transit has been found :D

The moment of truth

The glass is in awesome condition

The initial state

Note the March 1962 Manometer, which is really surprising, but I am sure Sebastien can better approximate the date with my boiler number of 18828

Probably the most exciting thing to happen this week, which beats the used Malwani Livi I got yesterday on my way home from the airport! I will likely not touch this machine until at least the Lambro or Pavoni P67 are back together and working.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home

#13: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

It is hella humid here right now and decided to bring the outer casing inside the dryer house. I might bring the machine in too but would need to annex some additional space in the dining room. The casing comes off via four knobs on the front backsplash much like the President and E61 and slips out from the back. Before taking it inside I took off any asbestos insulated wiring which I prompty put in a baggie. The neon light is present but it looks pretty burnt/used. I am unsure if it works at this time. The inside looks mostly clean, but I made some interesting notes as I did an initial interior look.

The water used was pretty hard. I took out the heating element, and in the process loosened one of the element studs rather than the nut (the longer of the two sticking out of the boiler lid). What I find weird is the studs appear to be screw at an angle, perhaps a crossthread or bend? They are also covered in a nasty grease substance. The 1500W element has no date, and is labelled as such:

1000W
220V FIREC
500W

Looking inside the boiler shows some extremelly tough scale deposits, and it appears to have affected the lower boiler rings. It crumbled a bit on the interior one.

The boiler is not mounted on the frame properly, and it appears that something grabbed certain pipes. If I were to make conclusions this machine was serviced at some point and was left in this state. Looking back at the element it appears to be double stacked with two gaskets. Some of the fittings have a rose-red tinge that appears after descaling in citric acid from surface dezincification. I did not take a pic but the glass in the water level is too short to fit properly.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Marcelnl »

nice project, what is that boiler made of? SS? Mine (the 4-5 Liter boiler) is red copper.
BTW did it come without a pressure regulator or am I just overlooking the thing?
LMWDP #483

#15: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

if you notice it had a wobbler weight at some point as suggested by the little metal bracket that sits above the wobbler weight but was replaced with a safety valve. It looks very caked so I bet that was the pressure regulation :D

Pretty certain it's copper with the tin/gray coating. I also think the frame got painted at some point as I see residue on the backsplash
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by Marcelnl » replying to IamOiman »

aaah sure, I noticed the bracket but it did not sink in (pun intended)
LMWDP #483