Faema Urania, leak at boiler lid seal

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Marcelnl
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Marcelnl »

Since a couple of days my Urania started to hissssss a bit more than usual and as a result losing water from the boiler, so I planned to investigate while exchanging the piston seals (that was done a good year or two ago, and I used the non EPDM seals at the time to find out their longevity with out 6 or so hour a day duty cycle).

Yesterday my GF had a blast-out due to low water in the boiler (it was a mess), and as a result the lever banged whizzed back into it's normal with a bang and the hissss increased...so I just keeled the machine over to see if I can find the culprit, it seems it has been found...

From the look of things(the boiler flange bolts) it appears there probably has been a tiny leak since the restauration, and it got worse over time.

Hope I can exchange the seal without a complete disassembly, yet I doubt it...

LMWDP #483

Marcelnl (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Hmmm this one makes me happier, appears the front comes off.. .@IAMOIAM

I ordered a teflon and a fibrous gasket to be sure...the clock ticks, which comes first....a fountain or the gaskets :lol:
LMWDP #483

cuppajoe

#3: Post by cuppajoe »

Looking at the photos it appears that there are two different fasteners holding the element, one a cap screw and the other a stud and nut. The stud looks to be somewhat askew. The element flange looks to be unevenly tightened and the leak developed at the wide end. It might be a good idea to replace the fasteners with stainless studs and nuts, ensuring both studs are true. And when tightening do it in stages so the seal is even, much like torquing down an engine head.

Also noticed there was no vacuum valve or Pstat, both of which would make life easier if the machine is regularly used.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

IamOiman
Team HB

#4: Post by IamOiman »

Well, you might as well take off the element to see what the damage is! It will also give the opportunity to check if your boiler is calcified from use over time (ie is your water actually good or will a new mixture be necessary). Your lid on your Urania should come off, it just uses an older design (it looks like the 9 hole bolt/stud design?).

@David the pic of the boiler with just the safety valve is from my Urania, I think Marcel is saying he likes the design of my Urania's boiler lid more. I have a cross fitting now that accomodates the p-stat pipe, the vacuum valve, and the safety valve.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

Ahhh, got it. Looking at Marceini's boiler it appears to be a Marte boiler, as was used in my '52 Urania with the Marte group. And yes, the end plate does come off.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

I did not add that the pictures are taken from below! A Pstat is present, yet not visible here.

I liked the picture Ryan posted as it shows the casing comes off without taking the group and everything off..I was fearing this might be needed...

My water feed always has been mineral water from the Pyrenees with an incredibly low mineral content, and Potassium Bicarb added a la Pavlis.

I will need to take off the element for sure to get a gasket in, so once that is out I should be able to peek inside the boiler right?
The boiler cap is the 9 bolt job, my Urania is second gen but no clear date as it has no ANCI code or any other date/serial.

( I was planning to buy an endoscope anyway, so will do that right away)

LMWDP #483

Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

this should sort peeking into the boiler, it'll fit the pressure relief valve...

LMWDP #483

Supporter ♡

#8: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

Is there anyone who can give me a hint how best take off the front where the glass sits and side plates? the panels seem to be held by nuts and bolts at the corners but also by the rim...if possible I'd like to take of the 'hood' (front and side in one piece). Glass is removed, so is the cup warmer but I'm hesitant to take of the gold colored trim at the front.
LMWDP #483

Supporter ♡

#9: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

found it, the four knobs on the backsplash...
LMWDP #483

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Marcelnl (original poster) »

And it appears the leak is not the heater seal but the boiler gasket :evil:

I found it dodgy that I heard hissing, which should be pretty impossible ai the level of the heater gasket unless the water level is really low....and indeed, at the top of the boiler is a discoloration and it seems as if the hisss comes from there...to be investigated further...

I now fully understand why Ryan thought I was admiring his solution for the pipes...they leave the boiler lid free for repairs....mine does not;\
LMWDP #483