Faema President

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
thecoffeepeddler

#1: Post by thecoffeepeddler »

Hello

can anyone provide a schematic for the President lever machines? Specifically the gas rig and its parts? Or an owners manual, installation manual?

Many thanks

Matthew

IamOiman
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman »

Hi Matthew,

I got your message from your email but I do not know of anybody that would have documentation like that for such old machines (the President from the 60's and Zodiaco from the 70's) outside of some people like Enrico Maltoni.

However, the Futurmat Palanca is pretty close functionality wise to the Zodiaco, and I consider it the current successor. For some reference Faema stopped producing machine under its Spanish brand in 1978 and instead Futurmat came into existence. It is still made today and I am attaching a link to the manuals. I hope this helps you.

http://www.qualityespresso.net/en/futur ... at-palanca
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Advertisement
thecoffeepeddler (original poster)

#3: Post by thecoffeepeddler (original poster) »

Thanks Ryan...legend.

I've been chatting with Enrico.... I'll ask him about the manual.

Freddy Camacho

#4: Post by Freddy Camacho »

Please do share with us...thanks matthew

dominico
Team HB

#5: Post by dominico »

As far as the gas rig goes, it was really just a gas burner underneath the boiler. If your primary goal is to have the machine working off of gas, It doesn't technically have to be connected through the President frame at all, you could put any gas burners under there as long as the majority of the heat is directed at the boiler.
To power the President entirely off of gas you really just need
  • a heat source under the boiler
  • a way to manual fill the boiler (line pressure needs to be greater than boiler pressure)
  • and an overpressure mechanism (lead plate or opv) calibrated to about 1 bar
https://bit.ly/3N1bhPR
Il caffè è un piacere, se non è buono che piacere è?

IamOiman
Team HB

#6: Post by IamOiman »

Matthew needed specifications for the gas burner as he needs them for a certification of sorts over in Australia. This part was discussed in coffeesnobs.au and I presume he reached out here to see if anyone here had what he was seeking.

To fill people in here is the gas burner from my Zodiaco. It's essentially the same as a President but it has the added auto igniter button. On the front is a sticker showing the system rated for 9000 BTU.

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

thecoffeepeddler (original poster)

#7: Post by thecoffeepeddler (original poster) »

As Ryan says this is for certification of the machine for commercial use. I have been advised I need documents with original specs/installation manual and listed parts etc for the process. The page attached is from a WEGA manual. I do know that it will need a flame failure device, which from what I can gather they didn't have back then, but they are available as a new part, so I guess a retro fit.

Enrico can provide a fully restored President for gas only operation... he says you can't have gas and electric though as it is too hot for the electrical components... I thought they were made this was originally, as dual fuel machines. Perhaps he means the modern electrics can't cope...the new pressure stat, for instance, in lieu of the mercury switches of the day.

This is all so I can run the machine in a mobile van without having to use a petrol generator...the two group President is 2600W. That of course would be much simpler but at this stage a last resort.

Anyway, I 'll plug on and keep you updated.

Thanks

Matthew

Advertisement
IamOiman
Team HB

#8: Post by IamOiman »

thecoffeepeddler wrote: Enrico can provide a fully restored President for gas only operation... he says you can't have gas and electric though as it is too hot for the electrical components... I thought they were made this was originally, as dual fuel machines.
My President was originally gas only. I just had a heating element and no wiring at all. Instead of a p-stat or regulator I just had a wobbler weight on top to regulate pressure. I made it electric and use an 1800W element for my two group. It sounds small but it's ready for use in 45 minutes which is fast enough for me.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612