Faema President arrived

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
thecoffeepeddler

#1: Post by thecoffeepeddler »

Hello
my President has arrived from Italy. It's a 1962 model. I've been experimenting with shots and recipes to get to know it a little better. I have a few questions if anyone can assist:

What was the basket size in its day? I have two original portafilters, one a single dose and the other with the double spout.

The right group head has a bit of slop in the handle at the top end of the extraction. It reaches a certain point at the top and then flops back against its resting point. This doesn't affect the shot... the spring eventually catches up and firms things up. The left handle glides back smoothly all the way.

Aside from that, it's a joy to use. Has a 2600W element. Heats up in about 25 mins. Once warm it cycles on and off for regular but short bursts.

Any tips on its use would be greatly appreciated. There's not much around I can find by way of a user manual from 1962!

Many thanks

Matthew

IamOiman
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman »

Hi,

My president had one portafilter and a replica portafilter with the original baskets. They are ridgeless and I can put 14g in them. I bet the single is 7g.

The flop you mention is pretty normal on the lever as the shot completes, that is simply a common trait of the group.

I can't really think of much to say for usage, it just works. I'd quip that it gets pretty hot in warm rooms so I try to use mine only when it is cool out.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

BaristaBoy E61

#3: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

What a Gorgeous looking machine - Congrats & Enjoy!
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

Nick111

#4: Post by Nick111 »

A great find!

thecoffeepeddler (original poster)

#5: Post by thecoffeepeddler (original poster) »

Ok thank you! I've been doing a 15gm shot in a 10oz cup. Tastes great. Splitting the shot, for a milk coffee, was a bit weak.

The steam wands are brutal,in terms of speed, but I'm getting the hang of it. My mate managed to produce these.

Marcelnl

#6: Post by Marcelnl »

looking GOOD! great looking machine, congrats and many happy days with it!
LMWDP #483

Phip
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Phip »

Wow, that's beautiful! And also great to have a mate who shares and excels in your coffee passion.
Philip
LMWDP #687

TsurTriger

#8: Post by TsurTriger »

Welcome to the club !
Since I have my President, it is my favorite machine. The simplicity of producing great espresso along with the quite, no pump no nothing, is really a nirvana for me.
It is true that it heat for it working pressure in about 30 minutes, but if you will give her about 1h to 1.5h, you will get a better espresso shots.

Enjoy !

LuckyMark

#9: Post by LuckyMark »

Nice! Worth the effort to import.