Faema Mercurio 3rd Series Tall Group [Finished]

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman
Team HB

#1: Post by IamOiman »

Hi all,

I have a Faema Mercurio in the midsts of final prep + payment that will be coming to me. I am able to source all gaskets/parts for the machine except for the valve gaskets. There are two valves, a steam arm and a two-way valve controlling the hot water and water inlet. I believe these have to be custom made but I just want to confirm there is nobody out there that can source these fairly easily.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

There was a small translation error. I thought I was told the gaskets were hard to source, but in fact they are essentially the same ones used on E61/President/Urania valves. I still have some leftovers from other projects that will fit and my seller also agreed to provide gaskets for them so I am pretty covered.

I found a pic of a very similar Mercurio from caffefriend on his blog. The steam valve uses something similar to the inlet valve on the President/E61. Now I will will just need to be patient for the machine to arrive...
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

Team HB

#3: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

It also appears that I have no heating element? It looks like cuppajoe's capped off heating element flange on his urania. With the wobbler weight this machine was definitely gas powered then, also evidenced by the on/off valve on the side of the machine. I can already see I will need to either drill out the plugs or get a new flange made along with obtaining heating elements. Also note the little feet that go on the front of the machine resting on the drip tray.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

civ

#4: Post by civ »

Hello:

Nice find .. =-)
IamOiman wrote: ... no heating element?
I think the label sort of gives it away.

ie: no volt / phase / watts, just a serial number.

I think should be able to drill out the plugs with no issues and set up the element with the use of suitable seals.
This, of course, once you have the element so you have the exact dimensions so as to drill the holes with the proper profile.
Faema levers are a long time favourite of Paul Pratt's, he will surely have the info you need.

There's also the Chromes d'Antan site.

I have seen a place called Brook's who carry vintage lever parts where you should be able to get an element.

Cheers,

CIV

Team HB

#5: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

civ wrote: I think the label sort of gives it away.

ie: no volt / phase / watts, just a serial number.
Wow I did not even pay attention to the tag. No voltage, phase, or wattage seen!

I've been in contact with Brooks. He no longer produces the flange or elements anymore unfortunately. I am confirming with him that this group uses the 180mm spring, which may be a little more difficult to source as TSE is currently out of stock.

I will probably need to contact a resource at least for the element for sure.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

civ

#6: Post by civ »

Hello:
IamOiman wrote: ... did not even pay attention to the tag.
It's only an indication.
I've seen machines without the data but with all the electrical innards in place.

Now, if you didn't notice a missing power switch/chord/plug ... 8^D (just kidding ...)
IamOiman wrote: ... no longer produces the flange or elements ...
I don't think you will need a new flange but you do need good, precise workmanship to drill the mounting holes for the element/s.

Paul Pratt has rebuilt a number of these Faemas, of all three series.
Maybe he'll chime in.

Check with Chromes d'Antan too, he may also be able to give you a lead for the element.

Cheers,

CIV

Team HB

#7: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I think Pascal got his replacement element from Paul :D

I have the messages sent out to five different parties including Paul and Pascal, I'll now what to see what they respond with
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

caeffe

#8: Post by caeffe »

I love seeing these vintage Famea's - especially the levers; the Mercurio is one of my favorite lookers! When you get a chance, pls post an overall image of it so we can all lust over it. The dark side of the lever world keeps whispering to me 8)

That shot of Paul Pratt's 3 machines is just crazy for me. I'm thinking its series 1 to 3 left to right? If so, I'll take a series 1 or 2; the exposed bottom somehow looks lovelier compared to the clean bottom; but series 3 is also lovely and I'm sure opportunity doesn't always present the optimum choices.

Also, that wand the comes up from the bottom - is that hot water wand or a way to drain the boiler?

Ryan- good luck with the conversion to adding a heating element and restoring this back to usage for you. One of these days - you're going to have to show us a shot of all your lever machines in one spot :)
LMWDP #162

Team HB

#9: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I got some stuff in the background I can do for the element. I'll get into more detail if a price and feasibility thing is worked out.

I'll post the seller's photos of the machine for you. Yes, that is the hot water wand that you are referring to

-Ryan
LMWDP #612

kitt

#10: Post by kitt »

Nice machine!!

I ended up getting a custom made element for mine years ago, the cost was very close to commercially available elements, plus i could get it made exactly as i wanted . This was in New Zealand . There was talk of a couple of other possible fits including Spaziale and Rancilio elements, but the custom made one wasn't much more by the time i included shipping etc