Faema Mercurio 3rd Series Tall Group [Finished] - Page 11

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
LObin
Posts: 1826
Joined: 7 years ago

#101: Post by LObin »

"Eh, could've done better" :lol: :lol:

With the shot... maybe.
With the restoration? Nuh-uh!

Well done again Ryan!

Excited to see the finish pictures! And a better pull ;)

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

User avatar
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB
Posts: 2171
Joined: 7 years ago

#102: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I got just about all the leaks plugged up, but one unexpected issue was the new barbed vacuum valve I put in. The machine pressurizes properly and the valve allows the air to escape, but after about 10 minutes after reaching boiler pressure it will start to ooze water constantly, as if the teflon ring is not sealing properly. I just need to unscrew the upper assembly and make sure this ring is seated right?



I also have some plans to actually use the little feet with my Boema feet so the machine is fully propped up like it originally was. Hopefully it works out well.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡
Posts: 6580
Joined: 16 years ago

#103: Post by JohnB. »

Something is keeping it from not sealing. Maybe some assembly debris got in there. Clean it out, lube the o'ring & try again.
LMWDP 267

User avatar
civ
Posts: 1148
Joined: 17 years ago

#104: Post by civ »

Hello:

Looking very good ...
Congratulations. 8^D
IamOiman wrote: ... as if the teflon ring is not sealing properly.
Be sure of it.
In my opinion, Teflon is not a good material for a vacuum valve seal.
IamOiman wrote: ... need to unscrew the upper assembly and ...
... change the teflon seal for a silicone seal.

Paul Pratt recommends using silicone seals or 'O' rings instead of other materials such as Viton, Nitrile or PTFE.
See this page from his website.

Cheers,

CIV

User avatar
JohnB.
Supporter ♡
Posts: 6580
Joined: 16 years ago

#105: Post by JohnB. »

The valve has a silicone o'ring & a teflon plunger inside.
LMWDP 267

User avatar
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB
Posts: 2171
Joined: 7 years ago

#106: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

Ok I think I know what happened. I had some loctite 55 wrapped on the thread connecting the upper cap to the bottom part of the vacuum valve, and it tightened before the top actually compressed the teflon cap that interacts with the silicon o-ring to create the seal. This allowed water to escape and overfill the barb. The inside looks fine as do the other bits (which I expect from a new valve :roll: ). I took off the loctite 55 to see if this will fix the issue, but this is basically my last issue :D

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

User avatar
IamOiman (original poster)
Team HB
Posts: 2171
Joined: 7 years ago

#107: Post by IamOiman (original poster) »

I actually have an unexpected update to the Mercurio. I originally purchased this machine with the front feet that screw in, but the rear feet that simply slide on were not present. I found a pair from Belgium and just got them in today in the mail. I am very pleased to have found these feet, the machine is upright now!




-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

StevenG91
Posts: 11
Joined: 4 years ago

#108: Post by StevenG91 »

Great job mate

LObin
Posts: 1826
Joined: 7 years ago

#109: Post by LObin »

Congrats Ryan! Another beautiful restoration!

Thanks for sharing all of this with us.
LMWDP #592

cedar
Posts: 127
Joined: 17 years ago

#110: Post by cedar »

Beautiful job Ryan. This and your Classica make a great pair.