Faema Faemina Portafilter Solution

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
yakster
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by yakster »

Ever since I picked up my Faema Faemina, I've wanted a bottomless portafilter for it. I found one auction a year or so ago for a Faemina portafilter (tip, search on Portafiltro) but it was more than I was willing to pay. I've seen a lot of recent Faemina auctions without portafilters so I've asked Paul Pratt a few times about making Faemina portafilters but so far the market is small enough not to be feasible.

I read here years ago about the possibility of the Presso (ROK) portafilters fitting Faeminas and decided to gamble and buy a bottomless portafilter from Espresso Unplugged when they came back in stock, but sadly the stock Faema Faemina portafilter has a bit of a lip so that the ROK bottomless portafilter would not lock in, it would rotate all the way and fall out at the end.

Not to be deterred, I decided to try adding an o-ring under the filter basket to allow the ROK naked portafilter to lock in, after some careful measurements I bought 25 of the 138 sized SAE O-rings which have a measurement of 2-1/8" ID, 2-5/16" OD and 3/32" thickness. Luckily, the o-rings seem to be a perfect fit and allow the ROK bottomless portafilter to lock in in the same position as the stock portafilter with a filter basket installed and everything seems to work nicely. The spring in the portafilter still holds the basket in securely even with the o-ring and ridgeless basket. The ROK portafilter is much lighter than stock and has a plastic handle and some sharp burrs in the base where the hole was cut that could be removed, but works as desired. Sadly, my tamper doesn't fit the ridged filter basket that came with it, but I have a filter basket that I share with my Faemina and my Gaggia Factory that works just fine. I could have looked at using a larger group gasket, but wanted to leave it stock so I can use my more massive stock portafilter to cool the group, if necessary.

So, if you're looking for a portafilter (naked or otherwise) for your Faemina, here's one solution. Since I picked up 25 o-rings, I'd be happy to mail out a few to people who may need them, just PM me.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

That is very cool, Chris.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Unfortunately, the second shot didn't turn out as well. I had a failure, not sure that this is a viable solution, more testing is in order.

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

Splatttt!

I wonder if an adaptor could be machined to let the portapresso spread its wings a bit and lock in?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

OldNuc

#5: Post by OldNuc »

A ring machined to fit below the lugs and just clear the Faema group right below the lug race that holds the Presso PF centered.

yakster (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster (original poster) »

Taking another look at the ROK Portafilter, I see that the lugs or ears slope the other direction so they're designed to lock in to the left instead of to the right. I see that there's wear only on the very tips of the lug so I'll probably try filing the lugs down so that they make more contact and possibly lock in better, but there's still an issue making sure that they stay centered in the group and that one of the ears doesn't slip off. Once I grind the lugs I may need a second O-ring for spacing... we'll see.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

spiffy

#7: Post by spiffy »

If you are able to provide some photos and measurements, I can model it and look into the feasibility of having a small batch made (and maybe have the knock box fabricated at the same time?). The cost shouldn't be any more than the Richard Penney ones for the Cremina.

Here's a bottomless portafilter I drew up as an exercise; shouldn't be too difficult to modify it for the Faemina (or sketch a new one), though it'll probably have to become a two piece design for ease of machining.

I don't own a Faemina yet, but I'll be picking one up as soon as one for a reasonable price pops up. If I can have the portafilter made, then I'd be able to pick up a cheaper one missing the portafilter.

Advertisement
Marcelnl

#8: Post by Marcelnl »

Very interesting! Your crema looks a lot better than what I'm usually getting, is that always so or because of the bottomless PF, or due to the tower of cups ?

I know from his response upon asking for a one off naked PF that Gabor (naked) at some point last year was considering the faemina, yet as said: it's a niche and he hasn't put anything on his site (pls do not bombard him with emails or PMs).

As for cheaper faemina's, check ebay.it , there are some cruising around...just saw one without drip tray cover and PF for 300€ ( first series, in seemingly good condition)
LMWDP #483

spiffy

#9: Post by spiffy »

Yeah I have been keeping an eye (almost daily...) on ebay.it. The 300 euro one has a broken switch and appears to be missing the steam wand.

doubleOsoul

#10: Post by doubleOsoul »

spiffy wrote:If you are able to provide some photos and measurements, I can model it and look into the feasibility of having a small batch made (and maybe have the knock box fabricated at the same time?). The cost shouldn't be any more than the Richard Penney ones for the Cremina.

Here's a bottomless portafilter I drew up as an exercise; shouldn't be too difficult to modify it for the Faemina (or sketch a new one), though it'll probably have to become a two piece design for ease of machining.

I don't own a Faemina yet, but I'll be picking one up as soon as one for a reasonable price pops up. If I can have the portafilter made, then I'd be able to pick up a cheaper one missing the portafilter.

<image>
Great idea Spiffy. There are enough of us where it would warrant a small batch - shoot there's a little group of owners here in Canada alone. I would be looking for 2 to outfit both my Faminas. By the way, good luck on snagging one and soon.