Faema Faemina Baby

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mpdeem
Team HB

#1: Post by mpdeem »

As a proud new owner of a Faema Faemina Baby, I think a thread devoted to using this lovely lever machine is long overdue.

I was lucky to get a Faemina in excellent condition from a fellow forum member which made for a lovely introduction. Despite being a lever novice, I was able to get good shots from the first attempt. This seems to be a very forgiving machine, yielding quaffable coffee even with the improper grind or rushed extraction. Even with too finely ground coffee resulting in a rather choked up leaky extraction - the resulting coffee was surprisingly good. I have come to the conclusion that the Faemina Baby is almost idiot proof - which makes it perfect for a luddite like me ;)

One thing that has stood out for me is how sweet and smooth the resulting brew is, utterly devoid of any bitter or overly acidic notes. Even when using too much coffee or too fine a grind, the resulting coffee remains quite sweet and free of bitter over extracted type flavors.

The Faemina seems especially well suited to fruit forward higher acid coffees in that it balances the acidity (without muting it), allowing the more nuanced flavors to come forward. I had a cup of Aida Batlle's Natural Process Finca Kilimanjaro that was almost candy like, with black & red raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, figs & hint of tamarind.

Now that I have had some time to play around with my Faeina - I have decided perhaps it is time to develop my technique (shoddy as it is). I would love to hear from other Faemina Baby owners. Feel free to share your techniques, tricks, and secrets. Below are some issues I suspect need fine tuning on my part:

- portafilter. Preheated, literally stored in hot water alongside tamper/lid thingy until use (high technical term)
- grind. I tend towards too fine, resulting in a rather impenetrable puck. Resulting in water leaking from the sides of the portafilter.
- water. I use boiling water
- pull. Having no guidelines, I aim for a steady consistent extraction. Time can be anywgere from 40-60 seconds extraction A lot depends on grind and water flow. If I get leaking indicating too fine a grind, I slow down. If flow seems good with nice crema, I will go for a sliightly faster extraction.
-coffee. Your favorite coffee to use with the Faemina. I roast my own coffee - but enjoyed coffee roasted by others...so let your imagination run wild.
-odds and ends. This can include any other tips, rituals, prayers, incantations, or other tricks you use to get a fabulous brew.

Feel free to include pictures of your Faemina Baby in action too.

As an aside, Robot users are welcome to share brewing tips and techniques. Even better if you have a Baby and a Robot to compare - yes I realize we are talking apples versus apples...but would still love to hear a side by side comparison since my present budget precludes me from getting a Robot anytime soon.

Advertisement
mborkow
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by mborkow »

No pic? :-p

I don't have a Baby but I do have a Robot and I've recently switched up how I pull the shots entirely. I used to do some passive pre-infusion (10 - 15 seconds) and then slowly ramp up pressure aiming for a 1:2 extraction (12g in/ 24g out). I've now upped the dose to 15g, lower the arms until I meet resistance, and then ramp to full force (but I don't have the barista edition so I am not sure what that means, exactly) aiming for < 20g out (1:1.25 ratio). Since doing that, fruit forward coffees have really been popping (and the darker/funkier blends haven't suffered). I love experimenting with 100% manual levers...

yakster
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by yakster »

I have a FEMA Faemina, and wanted a Baby, but got in on the Robot Kickstarter instead to scratch that itch. Congratulations.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

mpdeem (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by mpdeem (original poster) »

If I had more of a budget, I would get a Robot as well. Now if only I could get my husband to agree. He is hard pressed to understand why I even own multiple vintage moka pots ;)

Amberale

#5: Post by Amberale »

I have a Baby and it is my camping/power failure machine.

My piston seal was shot and when I tried Francesco's seal it didn't quite work for me.
http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/Faida ... by_eng.htm

I believe my basket has deformed and "bulged" slightly at the top.

However I bought one of Gabor's piston kits which allows the use of the Robot seal and a much more satisfying result.
https://www.naked-portafilter.com/produ ... aema-baby/

It is a great little machine and produces wonderful espresso.

I dose around 17g , preinfuse for 15 seconds and try for a 35 second pull with med-dark coffee.