Faema Baby vs. EspressoForge

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
DoctorP0rk

#1: Post by DoctorP0rk »

Hello all!

I'm looking to get the best camping espresso possible for under $300. I've already picked out the Pharos as my hand grinder, which is not included in the budget. Ease of use is not really a concern, I just want to make the best espresso without electricity, even if there's a steep learning curve.

From my research, the best options I've seen are the Faema Faemina Baby and the Espressoforge. I was wondering if anyone had experience with both and could tell me which produces the best espresso in the cup. Flavor is king, crema is just a bonus.

Also, if there are any I've missed that exceed those two, please point me in their direction.

Thanks!

vberch

#2: Post by vberch »

You may also consider waiting a little for Paul Pratt's machine (modern version of Faema Baby): Paul Pratt has something cooking as well as Portaspresso Rossa HC ($340 + shipping with the current exchange rate): http://www.portaspresso.com/page1001.html.

Advertisement
DoctorP0rk (original poster)

#3: Post by DoctorP0rk (original poster) »

Well, I'm actually forced to wait until around June, so if his project is complete by then it looks like a great option. The Portapresso also looks amazing, but without being able to feel the force like you can with levers, I would need that pressure gauge to be consistent with my shots. That puts it well out of my budget range.

crazy4espresso

#4: Post by crazy4espresso »

Hold off until the reveal of Paul Pratt's very 50's "Robot Coffee maker" before you make your decision.
"I would rather suffer with coffee than be senseless." — Napoleon Bonaparte
LMWDP #427

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

vberch

#6: Post by vberch »

I use Portaspresso Rossa at work every single day, twice a day and 99% of the time use it without the gauge. I screw on the gauge only if I want to experiment. You most definitely feel the pressure and can have very consistent and repeatable results without the gauge. I treat the gauge on Portaspresso as you would treat a Scace.
DoctorP0rk wrote:Well, I'm actually forced to wait until around June, so if his project is complete by then it looks like a great option. The Portapresso also looks amazing, but without being able to feel the force like you can with levers, I would need that pressure gauge to be consistent with my shots. That puts it well out of my budget range.

randyh

#7: Post by randyh »

I don't have any experience with the Faema Baby but I use the Forge everyday exclusively (my only espresso device) and I love it. One huge advantage it has over all other portable espresso devices is that it has an E61 compatible 58mm group head. That means you can use top quality proven shower screens and baskets like IMS/VST and if you already own a 58mm espresso machine, you don't need to buy other baskets or tampers. Or if you're like me and don't have a full on espresso machine yet but plan to get one in the future, the investment in shower screens, baskets, tampers will continue to pay off. I am salivating over the Londinium R...