Faema Baby Faemina crema caffè, the 1960s pour-over manual lever documentation - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
KurtAugust

#11: Post by KurtAugust »

If I ever get my hands on one at a good price, I'll definitely have some seals made. But I need the machine for exact measurements and insight in small details.
LMWDP #325

galumay

#12: Post by galumay »

Glad to hear you got one Jack, I have an absolute mint, very early one with the bakelite handle tips, I doubt it has ever been used.

I got a spare seal from Orphan Espresso, so they are still available.
LMWDP #322 i started with nothing.........i still have most of it.

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

Unfortunately I had already parted with the Baby due to some personal reason last year - one of the thing that I regret. :( This is the simplest ever espresso maker that is also functional & durable that I've ever seen - it even tops the Caravel in its simplicity. Only one seal is needed to keep it working and working and working ; whilst on Caravel there is the heating element, and O-rings/ seal cup and the portafilter gasket. Simply amazing when you think about it.

I wonder would it be economical to reproduce these? Since they're just alloy/metal mostly. Especially when the Chinese seems to be able to reproduce almost everything, and cheaper than the 'originals'. :mrgreen: *just kidding*

donn

#14: Post by donn »

samuellaw178 wrote:I wonder would it be economical to reproduce these?
At a first approximation, maybe at expense similar to the Presso (now called "ROK"?), ca $200. Similar low potential for lucrative sales. Not that I have anything against either, I'd think about the Presso if I needed a machine, but empirically, it doesn't seem to be a big seller? and from what I can see, that would be true whatever its performance. I mean, 99% of the market will have no idea and no interest, and the remaining 1% will be deterred by some reported fault. Granted, even a fraction of 1% could be a large number, but it won't be a large fraction.

samuellaw178 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by samuellaw178 (original poster) »

Haha, right, there is the ROK. In fact, I have been paying close attention to both (Presso and ROK). I did some extensive research at one point with the Presso and then reconsidered because of the reported fault - True of what you've said. The failure report was not all though. The material choice of plastic chamber and components etc did not confer enough confidence in the durability, largely due to my personal preference.

However, now that they have improvised the product to ROK with supposedly stronger material, I think many will give it a new consideration. At least I am one. Still I wish the plastics would be replaced just like how it was all metal in the Baby Faemina - that's the whole attraction point of it on top of the simplicity.

Whale

#16: Post by Whale »

galumay wrote:Glad to hear you got one Jack, I have an absolute mint, very early one with the bakelite handle tips, I doubt it has ever been used.

I got a spare seal from Orphan Espresso, so they are still available.
You may have been the buyer that took it from my shopping cart!!! :cry:
They sold the last of there seal for the Baby Famina a while back. I had put it in my cart but was waiting for other items before processing and the seal was gone when I came back!!!

My seal is still somewhat functional so I am ok until there is an alternate solution that surfaces.
The Baby Faemina is a joy in its simplicity.
LMWDP #330

Be thankful for the small mercies in life.

sorrentinacoffee

#17: Post by sorrentinacoffee »

i finally got around to making a video of this fine mid-century Machine. Unfortunately my hands blocked the light as I was making the shot- but I think you get the picture: this thing rocks:

grog

#18: Post by grog »

Crema caffe indeed! Wow - that shot looks amazing.
LMWDP #514

redpig

#19: Post by redpig »

Wow. Now I wish I hadn't passed up the never-used (w/manual+box) one on eBay about a month ago... Thanks for sharing!
LMWDP #411

SAS
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by SAS »

Here comes a run on Faema Babies.
LMWDP #280
Running on fumes.