Facelift for the Profitec Pro 800 - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Graymatters

#21: Post by Graymatters »

davidhunternyc wrote:Any reviews of this machine yet? It looks promising... unless it uses a vibration pump. :D
It has a vibe pump to fill the boiler, but it's not used at all if you plumb it.
[*]The vibration pump is only activated when using the water tank
[*]The vibration pump is not activated when using a fixed water connection
LMWDP #726

davidhunternyc

#22: Post by davidhunternyc »

drH wrote:I suppose we could wonder about a thermosiphon stabilized group a la Londinium, but maybe redundant with the PID. I think a quiet, small rotary pump wound be attractive to those who can't plumb in- and I'd personally love to see a stainless steel reservoir instead of plastic.
I agree with these three points. 1) Temp stabilized grouphead 2) Silent rotary pump 3) Stainless steel, glass, or ceramic reservoir.
What's interesting to me is that Profitec took the time to upgrade the Pro 800. These three ideas must have been a priority for
some of the engineers there but I doubt any of them are in this upgrade. I can't figure out why we pay so much money for these
machines and yet store our water in chemical laden plastic. In fact I wonder how much cancer would decrease around the world if
all of us stopped drinking water from plastic. Water in plastic is the new teflon.

Advertisement
BKH

#23: Post by BKH »

davidhunternyc wrote:I wonder how much cancer would decrease around the world if
all of us stopped drinking water from plastic.
A lot! Because we would all die of thirst! Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Earthy

#24: Post by Earthy »

The reason I sold my pro800 was the overheating group over time. It would be nice if they figured out the temp management. That is the only thing that impacts the flavour in the cup and why I sold it.

pcdawson

#25: Post by pcdawson »

Never had any issues with group overheating when I had a Profitec 800. Don't really see the need for a rotary pump over a vibe if it's just filling the boiler from the reservoir. I read somewhere that the QM Achille uses a rotary mainly because it adds weight to the machine to help prevent the machine from tipping forward. It was and is a great machine and every much the equal of other larger spring lever machines.

Graymatters

#26: Post by Graymatters »

davidhunternyc wrote:I agree with these three points. 1) Temp stabilized grouphead 2) Silent rotary pump 3) Stainless steel, glass, or ceramic reservoir.
What's interesting to me is that Profitec took the time to upgrade the Pro 800. These three ideas must have been a priority for
some of the engineers there but I doubt any of them are in this upgrade. I can't figure out why we pay so much money for these
machines and yet store our water in chemical laden plastic. In fact I wonder how much cancer would decrease around the world if
all of us stopped drinking water from plastic. Water in plastic is the new teflon.
So plumb it - that solves both of your issues by eliminating both the vibe pump and the plastic reservoir.
LMWDP #726

davidhunternyc

#27: Post by davidhunternyc »

....assuming you don't live in an old NYC apartment rental unit. :lol:

Advertisement
Graymatters

#28: Post by Graymatters »

Former Crown Heights and Prospect Heights resident. I realize that finding problems is easy, but finding solutions isn't that much harder.

Anywho, back to the 800. Mid-March is almost upon us; hopefully we'll see some pricing info soon. Prior to recent discount, the "old" 800 was at $3050 - with these cosmetic upgrades, I hope that the price doesn't bump up to more than $3300... but I have a feeling that it will.
LMWDP #726

Graymatters

#29: Post by Graymatters »

Indications are that the "new" Pro 800 will be priced at $3050, which is the same as the most recent price of the outgoing model - that's good news, I suppose!

That said, with the discounts on existing stock, the wait for new stock, and the lack of functional difference between the two, I decided to order an "old" unit - hopefully it'll be here within a week or so. :D
LMWDP #726

espressotime

#30: Post by espressotime »

Microplastics have been found in human blood already .