External Olympia Cremina Pressure Gauge

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
frew

#1: Post by frew »

As I rebuild my Cremina I want to make sure the pressure is correct. I don't need a permanent gauge on the unit, but I do want to ensure the pstat is calibrated properly. It sounds like the pressure gauge that you attach to the end of the steam wand is cheapest.

1. Can anyone tell me where to get one of those?
2. Are there any tricky bits to getting it to work?

I assume just bring machine up to temp/pressure, open the wand to remove false pressure (what even is false pressure?), close it, attach the gauge, and the open want back up to see actual pressure. sound right?

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#2: Post by jwCrema »

Personally, I feel they're essential to dial in a Cremina. This is the only place I know of to buy one:
https://olympia-kaffeemachinen.ch/

A friend of mine bought one from MIgg in March of this year after borrowing mine for months. The gauge isn't have them on the website, so you'll have to send an e-mail to see if he has any.

There aren't any tricks, you've got the whole process. You do need to release false pressure.

civ

#3: Post by civ »

Hello:
frew wrote: ... make sure the pressure is correct.
... ensure the pstat is calibrated properly.
... pressure gauge that you attach to the end of the steam wand is cheapest.
Indeed ...

When I got my first LP, a ca. 1969 model, to sove the issue of getting a proper pressure setting and thus the proper brewing temperature (no pressurestat on this LP), I clobbered together one of these with what I had laying around my espresso parts bin:

Quick, DIY, foolproof, very inexpensive, easy to use and then put away for the next time you need it.

Basically, it is nothing but a no-frills 0.0-2.0 bar manometer plus whatever is needed to end up in a short piece of silicone tubing of the size needed to slip over the business end of the steam dispenser tube.

It was, of course, a temporary fix which would soon turn into a much neater ie: more presentable espresso accessory.
But as it happens many times with temporary things, it stayed that way ever since.

It's been more than 12 years and still works like the first time.
Perfect. 8^7

It is ovbiously more convenient to have a manometer with a mount on top instead of the bottom and just one adaptor, but ...

Cheers,

CIV

forbeskm

#4: Post by forbeskm »

I have used a fuel line on the steamer with a pressure gauge.

I also have used Cerini's cap, its much easier. They are not always in stock but they are handy and come back in stock periodically, I would call as they are out at the moment for an eta.

https://www.cerinicoffee.com/collection ... dified-cap

nirdvorai

#5: Post by nirdvorai »

I second the Cerini cap. Easy as can be. I used it for the first month after I finished the restoration. But once I saw everything works as it should, I switch back to the flower shape cap. IMHO its the most beautiful retro style cap for the Cremina design.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by jwCrema »

forbeskm wrote:I have used a fuel line on the steamer with a pressure gauge.

I also have used Cerini's cap, its much easier. They are not always in stock but they are handy and come back in stock periodically, I would call as they are out at the moment for an eta.

https://www.cerinicoffee.com/collection ... dified-cap
Cerini has been out of the caps for well over a year. His supplier was in Switzerland. :wink:

Freddy Camacho

#7: Post by Freddy Camacho »

civ wrote:Hello:

Indeed ...

When I got my first LP, a ca. 1969 model, to sove the issue of getting a proper pressure setting and thus the proper brewing temperature (no pressurestat on this LP), I clobbered together one of these with what I had laying around my espresso parts bin:

Quick, DIY, foolproof, very inexpensive, easy to use and then put away for the next time you need it.

Basically, it is nothing but a no-frills 0.0-2.0 bar manometer plus whatever is needed to end up in a short piece of silicone tubing of the size needed to slip over the business end of the steam dispenser tube.

It was, of course, a temporary fix which would soon turn into a much neater ie: more presentable espresso accessory.
But as it happens many times with temporary things, it stayed that way ever since.

It's been more than 12 years and still works like the first time.
Perfect. 8^7

It is ovbiously more convenient to have a manometer with a mount on top instead of the bottom and just one adaptor, but ...

Cheers,

CIV
Agree with CIV. I use a slightly longer 30cm silicon tubing.

You could get a wider silicon with a hose clamp on the steam wand side.

Mine was tight fit...difficult to take it off when its hot. And need to be subtle as i dont want to overtightened the steam tip when taking the hose off clockwise...or loosen the steam tip when doing taking the hose off counterclockwise.

forbeskm

#8: Post by forbeskm »

jwCrema wrote:Cerini has been out of the caps for well over a year. His supplier was in Switzerland. :wink:
Good to know. I disappeared from the coffee forum world a bit.

I must have picked mine up about six months before that then. Fuel line is always a good fall back, leave the steam tip on, hose clamps, not as prety.