ES3: Visiting Strietman - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
mathof

#31: Post by mathof »

I have been using Strietman's new baskets with my LaPavoni Europiccola for a couple of weeks. I haven't run any comparison tests against the LP originals, but they pour well and seem less prone to spraying.

Matt

fransg (original poster)

#32: Post by fransg (original poster) »

I got a question in PM about the 'standalone' construction supporting the ES3 here.

Wouter built this specifically for his demo sessions at conventions, where he can't easily drill holes in the wall to 'permanently' fix the ES3 on the wall.

I like it as the machine is here for just a few weeks and then I won't have holes in the kitchen wall to fill afterwards ;-)

Also, it's easy now to move the machine around, in better light, et cetera.

And I will take the machine to a specialty coffee shop nearby where they also will be able to play with it for a few days.

Easy install / transport.

If I got one I would certainly look into getting a similar construction for it.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
fransg (original poster)

#33: Post by fransg (original poster) »

fransg (original poster)

#34: Post by fransg (original poster) »

The ES3 paid a visit to the nearby Trakteren cafe where Edward & Eric had a go with it. They didn't want to change the grind setting on their grinders much because they were used in the ongoing workflow for customers but it was relatively easy for them to dial in the ES3, finding out what dose of the (little bit finer) grind they were using at the moment. The doppio ristretto they made was as good as the one they produce with the big machine. Most of their customers order milk based or smaller espresso's and in a busy cafe the big machine saves more time but in a home environment they feel the ES3 can produce a competitive espresso.

beer&mathematics

#35: Post by beer&mathematics »

Great photos. Looks like everyone was having fun :) I like that they brought the ES3 into the cafe so can do comparisons (don't worry I won't ask for triple bind heh heh)

Question, how inconvenient is it to prepare the basket while it is in the PF? I dig the design aesthetic of the PF but it in the pic the hooks look scary :wink:
LMWDP #431

fransg (original poster)

#36: Post by fransg (original poster) »

Thanks!

I also noticed that Edward tried to level/wipe the grinds while the basket was in the PF, which is a bit unpractical. The easy way is to do that before lowering the basket into the PF.

fransg (original poster)

#37: Post by fransg (original poster) »

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
fransg (original poster)

#38: Post by fransg (original poster) »

The ES3 is featured today on a full page in the design/travel/trends magazine of the Dutch nationally distributed newspaper De Volkskrant:

FotonDrv

#39: Post by FotonDrv »

Frans, does the ES3 use standard, readily available piston seals?

Also, in the videos it appears that the operator needs a lot of force on the lever; would you hazard a guess on how many pounds of force is necessary to pull a shot?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

fransg (original poster)

#40: Post by fransg (original poster) »

As with the La Pavoni, if the right grind & dose are used, not much force is needed. That's how the ES3 lever can remain a slender design. You would hurt that ES3 part if you consistently ground too fine and pressed/pulled hard for instance. In my use of the machine I found that the best tasting extractions come when you can regulate the flow by pressing a little harder or less hard. Not when you need max pressure to get any decent flow at all.

The seals are all available from Strietman.