Embracing Espresso Excellence: A Glowing Review of the Ponte Vecchio Export Lever Espresso Machine - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
beer&mathematics

#21: Post by beer&mathematics »

Great thread but shhhhh!!!!

Don't let the secret out!

Export is the best looking compact lever. And I now have a '80 Cremina, which everyone lusts over. Export was my first lever and it still makes amazing espresso in under 10 minutes. It's got the best aesthetics too.

Today, I used my Cremina but tomorrow I will use my Export.
LMWDP #431

pGolay

#22: Post by pGolay »

beer&mathematics wrote:It's got the best aesthetics too.
Agree - I went with a Strietman, which I love, because it's so simple - I don't need steam- and seemingly very well engineered and made, but the truth is I like the Export better design-wise. I was just not confident enough in the build quality and did not want to 'get involved' trying to sort out glitches.
-PG

realdoctor

#23: Post by realdoctor »

The last few years, PV seems to have gotten better at QC. My PV Export doesn't compare to my Sama for neatness of fit, but it is fine. You notice small areas of imprecise work only if you go looking for them. No functional problems; pulled good shots out of the box. My PV Export came set at 1.2 bar. After playing around with lower pressures, I concluded that is about right. However, I never pull more than two shots back-to-back.

ninjah

#24: Post by ninjah »

Where did you get you Ponte Vecchio Export? Any issues since you got it?

I'm trying to get into lever machines but I'm having trouble deciding what to get. The QC issues with the Ponte Vecchio machines made me put them at the bottom of my list. This thread seems to indicate that the QC issues may not be as bad as I was thinking. Or maybe QC has improved. I'm hoping that's the case. I've got my eye on the Lusso 2 group.

Thanks!

jgood

#25: Post by jgood »

ninjah wrote:Where did you get you Ponte Vecchio Export?
That's my question -- 1st line and Prima don't seem to have them anymore. Any recommendations?

ninjah

#26: Post by ninjah »

They have them at My Espresso Shop - https://www.myespressoshop.com/collections/manual-lever
I reached out to them about the Lusso but I haven't heard anything back. I've never ordered from them before.

RTM

#27: Post by RTM »

ninjah wrote:Where did you get you Ponte Vecchio Export? Any issues since you got it?

I'm trying to get into lever machines but I'm having trouble deciding what to get. The QC issues with the Ponte Vecchio machines made me put them at the bottom of my list. This thread seems to indicate that the QC issues may not be as bad as I was thinking. Or maybe QC has improved. I'm hoping that's the case. I've got my eye on the Lusso 2 group.

Thanks!
I am curious as to what QC issues you are worrying about? do you have evidence or is this just anecdotal?

I have two Sama machines. The mechanics are rock solid, and user serviceable. The only complaints I can muster are alignment of the panels, which is 90% on the last person who worked on it.

ninjah

#28: Post by ninjah »

Most of the reviews I've read about the Ponte Vecchio machines mention quality control issues. Having said that, I just had a PV Lusso owner tell me he's had his machine for 12 years and uses it daily. Maybe the quality control issues aren't a big deal.

Trying to decided between a Ponte Vecchio Lusso 2 group and a Bezzera Strega.

TV33

#29: Post by TV33 »

What is the routine and occasional maintenance to be carried out on an Export Ponte Vecchio?

realdoctor

#30: Post by realdoctor »

Assuming you use something like Pavlis water in it, there is only sporadic maintenance. Change the portafilter gasket every year or or so. Clean the screen and bottom of the piston while you are at it. Lube or change piston seals maybe every 2-3 years. Not much more than that.