Eliminating spring noise on a commercial lever (Londinium R) - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by FotonDrv »

I have tried every seal that I can find and the Cafelat seals work fine for me, even with the rubbing spring. The group was not manufactured very accurately and it caused the spring to rub, which is no fault of the seals.

If you wanta challenge try putting on the new heavy Londinium seal and by the time you get them in place you will be crying out for a set of Cafelat seals.

As a question for Paul, what lube grease are you using on you seals?
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

greg-g

#42: Post by greg-g »

I've had my Londinium 1 for over 4 years making about 5 cups a day. It's on for about 8 hours.

In that time I find myself changing the bottom seal about every 9 - 12 months and the top two at double that interval. I change the bottom seal whenever the lever starts to occasionally skip.

The bottom seal is a so called jumbo seal but I'm still using the original style in the top just because I have them and they may as well be used.

Whenever I change the bottom seal I find its really hardened and as such I can't see how it could last much longer in this position. The top seals don't harden as much. I've only used the Londinium seals as I haven't read any real consensuses of opinion about the others.

Do other machines introduce water at lower temperatures as I really can't see many other variables? I don't see how these seals could last much longer in my machine.

I work the seals on using a 4mm Allen key and don't have any real problems.

Luckily I don't have any spring noise as that would really be annoying.

Greg

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by JohnB. »

Paul_Pratt wrote:I don't like to rant but I feel slightly miffed to be dragged into the issues with those groups and those machines when the seller and manufacturer should deal with the root issues. And I don't like having to defend myself again and again from users of a certain machine. Bosco seemed to have worked it out years ago and obviously make sure springs do not squeak and ditched the factory seals years ago.Paul
Yes they did & the silicone seals they use are no larger then the stock rubber seals yet they last for years with no slipping issues in a real Bosco group. After 13 months of daily use since I installed new seals I pulled the lever assy. out to relube the seals a couple weeks ago. They weren't squeaking, slipping or leaking but I thought that I felt a slight bit more resistance then usual so I cleaned the assy. & regreased with the Dow Molykote 111 grease I use. Judging by the resistance I felt lifting the lever assy out of the group these seals will be in there for a long, long time before they need to be replaced.
LMWDP 267

HB
Admin

#44: Post by HB »

Tom put this thread on cooldown on the 28th, but that apparently wasn't enough. This thread is closed for awhile.
Dan Kehn