Eliminating spring noise on a commercial lever (Londinium R) - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by FotonDrv »

3cordcreations wrote:Is Reiss aware of this thread or have you posted this on his forum? I'm wondering what he would say.. Would he just dismiss it or send a new spring and agree something is not right in the units that are rubbing?
He banned me from his Forum for telling the truth, which is something he wants to conceal if it is a negative truth/fact, so no I did not Post it on his Forum.

I am sure he would dismiss it as a normal manufacturing tolerance and the noise would be not an issue in a crowded environemnt of a cafe'.

He is fully aware of the spring noise and he and his minions have dismissed it.

And i am not very interested in making a jig to cock that bg spring just to look for something that is probably a few thousands of an inch off center. I recorded the noise and have demonstrated it to several members of HB and they know it is not a figment of my imagination and they recognize it as not normal.
That Light at the End of the Tunnel is actually a train

espressotime

#22: Post by espressotime »

FotonDrv wrote:He banned me from his Forum for telling the truth, which is something he wants to conceal if it is a negative truth/fact, so no I did not Post it on his Forum.

I am sure he would dismiss it as a normal manufacturing tolerance and the noise would be not an issue in a crowded environemnt of a cafe'.

And i am not very interested in making a jig to cock that bg spring just to look for something that is probably a few thousands of an inch off center. I recorded the noise and have demonstrated it to several members of HB and they know it is not a figment of my imagination and they recognize it as not normal.
<image>
Is that a pic of your cylinder? :o
Because those vertical scratchmarks.....something is eating up your cylinder wall.
Do you have scratchmarks on your piston?

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by FotonDrv »

espressotime wrote:Is that a pic of your cylinder? :o
Because those vertical scratchmarks.....something is eating up your cylinder wall.
Do you have scratchmarks on your piston?
That is my cylinder.

The piston is fine.

Its the spring hitting the wallof the sleeve.

3cordcreations

#24: Post by 3cordcreations »

FotonDrv wrote:He banned me from his Forum for telling the truth, which is something he wants to conceal if it is a negative truth/fact, so no I did not Post it on his Forum.

<image>
This is unfortunate. Do you think this is an isolated problem? Are there more people experiencing this? Are there any of the R models doing this? I am considering an R.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

FotonDrv
Supporter ♡

#25: Post by FotonDrv replying to 3cordcreations »

It might be isolated but since I have only purchased 2 Londinium machines and one was a squeaky group that is a 50% success rate.
This latest is a better design than the first one, but the same group.

Rush

#26: Post by Rush »

I had both of the problems that Stephen had above, Reiss's banning me from his forums as well as major spring rub with scratches on my cylinder. Oh yeah, also my seals were skipping quite a bit pulling shots. I tried all kinds of fixes, etc. Reiss provided little help but lots of insults. I finally got my unit sorted, but it took me brute forcing the lever group into submission.

Stephen, you have figured out the same as I recently did, you have to move the spring away from its bias. No spring is perfect so it bends in one direction orthogonally to its long dimension. Just push the spring ends a tiny bit away from that bias so it won't rub. It worked for me, I hope it works for you!

Another trick with these groups is making sure the Teflon piston guide ring is in good shape, and tight against the cylinder wall. Helps with spring rub as well as seal skipping.

TomC
Team HB

#27: Post by TomC »

Please remember to use this forum only as a last resort for vendor complaints; the reasoning why is spelled out in our guidelines. We want people to be able to share factual information, but we also want to avoid a pile-on that will result in an unnecessary thread being locked that is otherwise useful.

Thanks.

Guidelines for productive online discussion
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

g3dahl

#28: Post by g3dahl »

I do think the point of this thread is worthwhile, and hope the discussion continues. My Londinium's group runs silently, but I have seen and heard Stephen's many times. Stephen is mechanically skilled and very inventive; if he sets a goal of silencing his group, it's going to be accomplished. Other people with the same problem will benefit from a solution.

So let's just call it what it is, a mechanical issue that some users have and would like to solve. It is human nature for people to vent when frustrated, but doing so doesn't really help solve the problem. I assume we are here to discuss efforts toward a solution, which I will follow with great interest.

As far as the issue itself is concerned, the noise is a symptom, but not the real problem. For those with noisy groups, some might find the sound irritating while others wouldn't notice (or care). But I believe the true concern is the gradual deterioration of the cylinder wall caused over time from the abrasion. The damaged cylinder wall could be expected to be hard on the seals, adversely impacting their lifespan, and it would seem that leaks would be more likely to develop.
LMWDP #569. Long live lever lovers!

3cordcreations

#29: Post by 3cordcreations replying to g3dahl »

I agree. What I don't understand about the spring clearance to the walls is, why are they so tight? Wouldn't it make more sense if the spring had more clearance all around? Also, I don't recall, do these use the Bosco groups? If so, it's not a Londinium problem and more of problem with the factory making and assembling them. Are there precision, or better quality springs that can just be swapped out, maybe that are a bit smaller diameter? Just some thoughts. I am really interested in an LR and this issue is causing me to wonder about purchasing.
A three cord strand is not easily broken...

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#30: Post by JohnB. replying to 3cordcreations »

The term Bosco group is a misnomer. Bosco buys their groups from a different supplier & makes a number of changes/improvements that other companies like Londinium do not make.
LMWDP 267