Elektra Microcasa a Leva weak steam problem - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rpavlis

#21: Post by rpavlis »

It will regenerate very quickly. Although water or non oxidising acids cannot react with copper, oxygen can! The film of CuO is impervious so the oxygen cannot reach the copper under it once it forms. Sadly carbonate scale is porous and does not provide such protection.

If you use potassium bicarbonate (or sodium) you can adjust the quantity for best flavour. I generally use about 75 mg/litre. By compounding the water you are in absolute control over what is in the water.

drgary
Team HB

#22: Post by drgary »

Did the weak steam problem resolve with descaling?
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

SimonPatrice (original poster)

#23: Post by SimonPatrice (original poster) replying to drgary »

I didn't test it yet as I wanted to start over with better water. When I steamed the vinegar and water mixture yesterday it seemed a lot better so I have hope. I bought some distilled water but couldn't find the potassium bicarbonate. I went to a wine making place but all they had was potassium sorbate. I will try to find the potassium bicarbonate tomorrow as I'd like to use my machine soon.

But, it gave a good occasion to use the Caravel again. It still makes amazing coffee!
Patrice
LMWDP #428

LDT

#24: Post by LDT »

I asked a wine supply house for potassium bicarbonate. All they had was potassium carbonate. I asked on the forum several months ago if I could use potassium carbonate instead of bicarbonate and never did get an answer. I'm not a chemist so I don't know if you can substitute one for the other for boiler water treatment. Does anyone know?

spressomon

#25: Post by spressomon »

If you don't have a brewery supply ...

Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Home-Brew-Ohio-3 ... 0064GZPU4/
No Espresso = Depresso

aecletec

#26: Post by aecletec »

LDT wrote:Does anyone know?
If you tweet to Christopher Hendon @chhendon he has been responsive to my questions.
Ebay is where I obtained mine.

rpavlis

#27: Post by rpavlis »

Potassium carbonate is more basic. I never tried to use it, but it might be okay if one used about half as much, one could do a taste test with it to see. I have one of those small electronic balances I use for this. As I remember it cost about US$12. I have a heavy duty 4 litre polyethylene container I use for mixing. With that I put in about 0.25 grams of potassium bicarbonate for the degree of roast I use lately, that is about 60mg/litre.

bill
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by bill replying to rpavlis »

This is all very interesting; I'm going to try adding potassium bicarbonate to the distilled water I use in the Elektra Leva. Since my Gaggia is plumbed in, using distilled water is not an option.
Bill
LMWDP #43

I wasn't born in Texas, but got here as fast as I could!

LDT

#29: Post by LDT »

Robert, thank you for the reply. I've been using very small amounts of potassium carbonate when I fill the Elektra boiler about every fifth fill. I definitely have a buildup of the black coating you referenced earlier and after three years of use there's no visible sign of scale. No taste issues either.

HB
Admin

#30: Post by HB »

Split follow-on discussion to Elektra Microcasa a Leva boiler leak problem at poster's request.
Dan Kehn