Elektra Microcasa a Leva vs. La Pavoni Europiccola

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Chert

#1: Post by Chert »

My brief experience with an MCAL was not endearing, but 15+ years with a Pavoni (probably 10 at the time I tried the MCAL) and satisfied with my daily spro, I was not motivated to try to learn that pretty little machine. But I am curious and so pose this topic anew, old threads related being closed and the lever gallery clearly not on topic for this.

@IamOiman and @IMAWriter, opinions on this? Anyone else with significant experience on both?
LMWDP #198

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

If I did not have a Conti Prestina I would still have the Elektra Microcasa a Leva for its consistent and flavor layered shots. When properly tuned the MCAL is a walk up and pull machine. I use La Pavoni or the Cremina for quick temperature adjustment on the fly and for denser shots.

Flint, take a look at my detailed review of the MCAL, where I really get into its use.

Elektra Microcasa a Leva Review
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

algue

#3: Post by algue »

I'm italian, so I like bodied espressos. I think that LP is better to get these. I have three LPs and two MCALs. I modified both MCALs by adding booster springs, but anyway I have always to grind coarser and espresso viscosity is often lower.

pab

#4: Post by pab »

Pro MCAL:
temp stability out of the box. Heavy group that allows an interesting huge decrease in temperature during the shot.

Pro Pavoni:
temp change on the fly but you have to attach a thermometer to the group, otherwise it's only a guess.
Cons:
Group overheating.
1st gen Pavoni are the best, but not so easy to find.

Pro MCAL:
steam and steam nozzle design, both better to a unmodified Pavoni (but you can always modify it and get top performance, what i did :D )

Pressure? MCAL can do the job for you, adding consistency. Pavoni allows you to experiment with pressures, but this also complicates things.

Out of the box, MCAL is clearly superior and a lot easier to use versus a modern Pavoni. A modded 1st gen Pavoni is superior to all 8) , still MCAL is better looking.

Chert (original poster)

#5: Post by Chert (original poster) »

pab wrote:
Out of the box, MCAL is clearly superior and a lot easier to use versus a modern Pavoni. A modded 1st gen Pavoni is superior to all 8) , still MCAL is better looking.
Hmmm. Of someone, who has used both to the point of pulling delicious coffee from both, in the end did you prefer MCAL or La Pavoni? (Build and aesthetics and temperature stability aside.)
LMWDP #198

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Do you like a good pinot noir or a good cabernet? Can you enjoy both?
Gary
LMWDP#308

Chert (original poster)

#7: Post by Chert (original poster) replying to drgary »

I prefer the Pinot, I can enjoy both. What about you?
LMWDP #198

drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

Well, the parallel of course is a layered, delicate pull from the Elektra versus a more intense pull from the Pav. The Pav can replicate the Elektra, but it's much more controllable when fine tuning the Elektra.

And, yes, I like delicate wines and rich ones. They're just different. No preference.
Gary
LMWDP#308

IamOiman
Team HB

#9: Post by IamOiman »

First off, I'll say I like really dark and dry red wines. That's a thing for me, liking very intense flavors ranging from spicy foods to very dark roasts. My favorite white wine is more of a sparkling 5%, called Intenso 5. This is a very nice dessert wine from Benevento region.

I will throw my word in!

Depends on what you are seeking and what characteristics differ in the shot between the machines. For me, I can divide that into these categories with the following comparisons:

Consistency-the Elektra is far easier to reproduce similar shots. Once you have your grind and dose dialed in, I can almost make a shot half asleep. With the Pavoni, I can use the exact same grind and dose and have god shots or ehhh shots, but there is still leniency with the shot on both machines. I will note the Elektra will be more affected by a level tamp, and the Pavoni usually requires a finer grind setting than I would use with my Elektra (though my recent spring replacement does bring the fineness closer together).

Body-How thick your shot is. The Pavoni can produce far thicker shots. Sometimes it appears to be a sryup that is so thick the sugar I put in stays on the top of the crema for some time before sinking. The body is still there in the Elektra but is not as thick.

Flavor-The Elektra allows me to taste all the flavors better. It feels very clear to me in what I am drinking when I pull a good shot. With the Pavoni I can note flavors but they are more muted.

Feel-If you like a hands on approach, the Pavoni is a superior choice. I can often tell how good my shot will be just by feeling the lever as I pull down. I can alter my grind and dose to change the required pressure needed to extract the coffee, and is very nice when you want to be one with the machine. The Elektra simply has you pull down and possibly again if doing a Fellini move, though you can look at the speed of the lever and look at the portafilter as you extract the coffee.

Frothing/milk drinks-The Elektra has a superior steaming capability with its 1.8l boiler (at least mine. I think newer models may be 2l) and bulletproof steaming arm. The current milk I am using allows me to produce nice foam for 35cl in about 20-30s depending on water boiler level. I do not really use my Pavoni for milk drinks partially because I think my O-ring in the steam tap is old, causing water to slowly drip when I open it, but when I try it takes up to 40-50s for me to get paletable foam.

For me personally if you ever have the funds I recommend both to allow you to play around with each machine's strengths and to have the best of both machines. Right now I am playing with the Elektra as my piston gaskets in the Pavoni are 'slipping' and leaking a little, and am waiting for Cafelat ones to arrive in the mail. If you have more questions I will be happy to answer them! Of course since I have lived in Italy for 5 years I got both my Pavoni and Elektra for less than 750 euro total, so you may need to look around for a good deal and potentially get some spare parts (I have almost exceeded the price in parts with what I paid for my Pavoni!)

One last note is the size. The Elektra is pretty tall compared to the Pavoni, so keep that in mind if you are putting it under a cabinent. Also, the Pavoni has a very light base, so you may slip the machine around if you pull it at an awkward angle.

-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

IamOiman
Team HB

#10: Post by IamOiman »

One more thing I forgot to add is thermal stability. For my Pavoni I can maybe pull 2 shots before it overheats and I need to turn it off for 5-10 minutes. The Elektra can last longer. I pulled 5 shots in 15-20 minutes (turning off the machine between shots. This is also the case for the Pavoni too) without too much change in taste or overextraction. If I went further I would also recommend dousing the portafilter in cold water to cool the group a little bit. This is without any mods on my machines as I consider myself a sort of 'purist,' where I try not to add any mods to my machines.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612