Elektra Microcasa a Leva temperature study: group and brew water temperature measurements [video]

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pab

#1: Post by pab »

Hi lever lovers!
I used two probes to study temperatures on the Elektra Microcasa Leva (or Micro Casa).
I measured actual brewing temperature of water (at the top of coffee puck) and the external right side of the group.
I made the video of 9 shots to collect data. Some shots are made after cooling down the group temp by cold portafilter technique.
The Elektra is set at 1 bar, it's from 1991 and has the original gasket between group and boiler that somehow reduces the thermal conduct (modern Elektra doesn't have it, you should add a teflon gasket)

This is the video:

Caver95

#2: Post by Caver95 »

Interesting. Would be cool to know the pressure in it too. Had I done this I would have drank all the shots and probably have a heart attack...

pab (original poster)

#3: Post by pab (original poster) »

Elektra has a spring with low pressure (at least the old models because i heard new versions have stronger spring) and a decreasing pressure profile. Overall, the pressure is very gentle. Anyway, it can't be controlled, contrary to brew water temp that can be controlled with a cheap thermometer on the group (i don't like temp strips, they look bad and aren't precise). The video shows the temperature correlation between brew water and group.