Elektra Microcasa a Leva temperature stability upgrade

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
KarlSchneider

#1: Post by KarlSchneider »

In the follow-up to my recent posting in the Lever Machine Gallery updating my latest setup a discussion ensued about the differing temperature stability of the Olympia Cremina vs. the Elektra Microcasa a leva.

Through both public discussion and PM's I learned that the temperature stability of my Elaktra Microcasa a leva might be improved. A PM from HB member Bas gave me a clear path to the upgrade. He told me I could insert a Teflon Ponte Vecchio Export group gasket between the group of my Elektra and the boiler and significantly improve the temperature stability. I was able to order the part from the well-know people at La Machina del Cafe.

Yoday I removed the group from my Elektra

And installed the PV Teflon gasket.

The fit was perfect as Bas had said and the installation was very simple.

Tonight I pulled three espressos with the new set up. I could clearly tell in the thrird shot that the gasket had indeed kept the temperature more in the correct range. Years ago I learned the taste of an overheated group from this same machine.

I will post an historical eplanation in a follow up reply.

KS
LMWDP # 008

KarlSchneider (original poster)

#2: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

The Ponte Vecchio Export was originally designed and manufactured by SAMA (Salvatori Marino Costruzioni Elettromeccaniche - Milano). SAMA began production in the 1970's of three spring lever espresso machines for home use - the Export, the Lusso and the Club. SAMA ceased producing these machines but Ponte Vecchio resumed production of the Export and the Lusso models in the late 90's. The Club models used the same group as the Elektra Microcasa a leva. According to Bas the entire groups on the Export and the Microcasa a leva are interchangeable.
LMWDP # 008

drgary
Team HB

#3: Post by drgary »

Chuck,

What year of manufacture is your MCAL? It's great to know that heat break gasket* is a perfect fit and I wonder if it will fit current and older models. (As some may know I installed a PTFE heat break gasket on my 1989 machine. It was fashioned by HB member Dan Remer and made that machine very temperature stable.)

* If installing a do-it-yourself heat break gasket instead of a factory spec part, for safety, be sure to install bolts that are longer by at least the extra thickness of the gasket. You'll want to have the bolt turn in by six full threads of engagement into the boiler, keeping in mind that any modifications to factory specification are taken at your risk as per the terms of use that you agree to when accessing this site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#4: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

Hi Gary,

Mine is a 2004.

By the way the standard bolts for the group were plenty long enough for the added part.

LMWDP # 008

#5: Post by KarlSchneider (original poster) »

Have used my Elektra Microcasa a leva multiple times now with the teflon gasket installed between group and boiler. The results are very positive. I note better temp stability. Bas told me he has measured the group temp as remaining in the 85-90°C range when the machine is left on. I used to notice the beginning of overheating on a third consecutive espresso shot but not any more. A simple, effective upgrade.
LMWDP # 008

Tom@Steve'sEspresso

#6: Post by Tom@Steve'sEspresso »

I too did this Teflon mod on my 84 MCaL some time ago. Though I made my own gaskets (I ended up sandwiching the Teflon between silicone sheets to get a seal) which doesn't look too nice , the resulting temp stability has made me very happy.
LMWDP #222
Live graciously
Be kind
Have fun

rpavlis

#7: Post by rpavlis »

I still think that the best temperature stability gasket for these machines would be made of stainless steel. It would not creep in time, and it would not look ugly. One could machine a groove for an O ring on one side and have a good seal. Stainless steel is one of the poorest metallic heat conductors, and you do want some heat conduction. If one be able to find a thick stainless washer of the correct diameter, the holes would be easy to drill.