Elektra Microcasa a Leva: the lever get stucks and makes noise

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
StefanoB

#1: Post by StefanoB »

I have a very recent Elektra MCAL, bought new (from Elektra) less than four mouths ago. Everything was going fine, but now for a few days the lever does not go up properly: it starts going up, then get more or less stuck, and when I assist it to help it going up it does but by making some noise (as if there were a lot of friction).

I have recorded a short video to show the issue:

I have the impression also that the spring cannot apply the proper pressure that way, because the coffee is not good any more...

I have ordered some lubricant, but I have the impression the issue comes from the lever itself. Did one of you already had this issue? What shall I do?
Stefano

IamOiman
Team HB

#2: Post by IamOiman »

holy cow that is some serious friction occurring if it makes that clicking noise!

I can think of two main things: the seals are extremely dried out and are catching the group bore, or something is happening with the spring that is causing it to not decompress properly.

Before I proceed I recommend popping out the upper group assembly and checking it out. It is only held in by two 3 or 4mm allen bolts and you can just lift it out after.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

Advertisement
StefanoB (original poster)

#3: Post by StefanoB (original poster) »

Thank you for your answer. :)

So I have popped out the lever, and everything seems normal inside, including the seals it seems.

Here is some pictures:

What do you think?

Any obvious issues for you?
Stefano

IamOiman
Team HB

#4: Post by IamOiman »

I cannot make conclusions of the bore, but it should look smooth with no noticeable scratching or pitting. If the seals do not seem hardened apply some of the lube when you receive it. Look at the spring to see if there are also marks or scratches, as that would indicate where the spring would be rubbing against the bore.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

ojt

#5: Post by ojt »

Isn't that scale right there? The white stuff? Anyway I would indeed clean it out and relube or change and lube the gaskets. What kind of water are you using?
Osku

#6: Post by StefanoB (original poster) »

IamOiman wrote:I cannot make conclusions of the bore, but it should look smooth with no noticeable scratching or pitting. If the seals do not seem hardened apply some of the lube when you receive it. Look at the spring to see if there are also marks or scratches, as that would indicate where the spring would be rubbing against the bore.
I have inspected thoroughly, and I don't see any scratches or marks on the bore or on the spring...
Stefano

#7: Post by StefanoB (original poster) »

ojt wrote:Isn't that scale right there? The white stuff? Anyway I would indeed clean it out and relube or change and lube the gaskets. What kind of water are you using?
I am using filtered water. I think the gaskets are fine, because the machine is only 4 month old (bought new).
Stefano

Advertisement
IamOiman
Team HB

#8: Post by IamOiman »

Listening to the clicking again it sounds pretty metallic. The next thing to check is the two pins and the piston rod attached to the upper group assembly. What could be happening is the little rollers are getting stuck and only move again after being pulled by the spring force. I am not sure how far you want to take it apart but those can be relubed and checked to see if that is the case.

Another question I have is if there is stickiness or resistance at all when pulling the lever down.
-Ryan
LMWDP #612

ojt

#9: Post by ojt »

Well, there's something on those gaskets, not saying the gaskets themselves are bad. Also the grease out of the factory isn't something I'd trust too much but I am comparing to Pavoni :) Wish I had done a relube job on day 1..
Osku

#10: Post by StefanoB (original poster) »

IamOiman wrote:Listening to the clicking again it sounds pretty metallic. The next thing to check is the two pins and the piston rod attached to the upper group assembly. What could be happening is the little rollers are getting stuck and only move again after being pulled by the spring force. I am not sure how far you want to take it apart but those can be relubed and checked to see if that is the case.
I'll look at that, thanks. I'll first wait for my lube to arrive (this Thursday).

IamOiman wrote: Another question I have is if there is stickiness or resistance at all when pulling the lever down.
Yes, there is some resistance...
Stefano