Elektra Microcasa a Leva bitterness (or sourness?) - Page 3

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IamOiman
Team HB

#21: Post by IamOiman »

Getting to 'know' your bean is pretty important in pulling good shots. When you stick with a single roast you can find what you desire from it, and make adjustments to the grind setting and or weight accordingly. For me personally this is why I stick with one roast at a time, as I already know what my dial setting is for my MCAL (or Pavoni when I bring it out but also applies to all machines). When I try a new roast it takes me about a three days to a week's worth of shots to find that sweet spot, and if I like it enough I will purchase more next time.

For your bean waste this can be exacerbated when using a commercial grinder or one where grinds are retained as you need to purge the prior grind setting to ensure you only have new grinds on the new setting. My first grinder was a Lido E, which was more forgiving in terms of retention as I simply brushed the burrs of the few grinds remaining and I had a clean grinder. My current Olympus 75HS grinder will require more beans to be 'wasted' due to the purging required, but at this point in my espresso journery I can usually nab my sweet spot with my preferred roasts in 2-3 tries.

I will admit having an encyclopedia's worth of knowledge at my fingertips helped me get started, and I would have to presume it was harder pre-internet to develop your own successful routine outside a bar.
-Ryan
Using a spice grinder violates the Geneva Convention
LMWDP #612

zubinpatrick

#22: Post by zubinpatrick replying to IamOiman »

Absolutely agree. I have been using the same SO bean from the same roaster for a couple of years now, fine tuning everything and my shots are stellar, according to me, and as far as I'm concerned that is all that matters.
For reference sake, I'll include that anyone who has had my espresso has subsequently complained that they cannot get a decent shot anywhere else , as they all pale in comparison to mine.
To be fair I am not using a Microcasa, but a big 2 group commercial lever. I started on a Pavoni however, for a number of years and that is where I began experimenting, that experience allowed me to then apply it to my little monster.

pseudonymousbosch (original poster)

#23: Post by pseudonymousbosch (original poster) »

Zubin, clearly I need to try one of your espressos. As you can tell, it's a while since I had a good one!

zubinpatrick

#24: Post by zubinpatrick replying to pseudonymousbosch »

Come on by if you are ever in Montreal. Just let me know in advance and we will set it up!

#25: Post by pseudonymousbosch (original poster) »

Ah, I visited Montreal a few years ago and it seemed a very cool city - definitely the kind of place you'd find quality espressos.

coffeefrog

#26: Post by coffeefrog »

pseudonymousbosch wrote:Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement, everyone. I - perhaps stupidly - keep ordering different beans, which seem to require radically different grinds, thus compounding the problem. I don't seem to be any better and admit to feeling fairly intense frustration at the elusiveness of a decent espresso (although realise here not the place to dwell on my emotional response).

I am also going through shocking amounts of coffee beans, failing to get the grind right.

You do have to wonder how many MCAL owners just gave up out of frustration, especially before the growth of forums such as this.
As others have said, a consistent roast (not necessarily beans) helps. Don't fixate on numbers and times and weights, different beans require different degrees of fineness. Assuming that the pressure gauge reads around 1 and the heater has turned off, try having preinfusion go on longer than is usually recommended, let it start to drip and wait for the dripping to slow and then return before letting go. If the initial dripping doesn't slow, it needs to be slightly finer. If the flow is taking too long (and you'll be able to tell by looking eventually) just take the cup away.

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#27: Post by jwCrema »

In the beginning it is exceedingly important to reduce variables. One bean v Other Bean will never overcome all other inputs to the process. Pick one bean that is known for consistent roast. Then you have a solid platform to deal with other things like grind and preinfusion.

Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste Take a look at the correction diagram - and the rest of this thread.

This hobby has been a journey of enlightenment over time. I have no idea what the number is for the level I am on. However it is really tasty. Hang in there and let yourself learn. Or, I will trade you a Club. Ha!

#28: Post by pseudonymousbosch (original poster) »

This is extraordinary but I am actually now producing decent espressos. More than that: they are delicious. New beans and the ratios seem more or less right, so perhaps that's it. Fingers crossed.

I feel surprisingly happy (and caffeinated).

Simon

coffeefrog

#29: Post by coffeefrog replying to pseudonymousbosch »

As the beans age or the season changes you'll need to make small adjustments in quantity or grind and that can be sometimes a mysterious process, the difference between good and not good is fairly small.
LMWDP #15

#30: Post by pseudonymousbosch (original poster) »

God, these espressos are so good. Everyone was right: it was worth waiting.