Elektra Microcasa a Leva and me

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
IMAWriter

#1: Post by IMAWriter »

After having a nice week to play with my 2005 MCAL, I'm finding things about its operation, and the coffee it produces to be (as I expected) different than any lever I've previously owned: A La Pavoni Millennium Europiccola, an Olympia Cremina 67 (1981), an Bezzera Strega, and a V 1.0 Caravel.

Yes, the shots are small (via a single pull) then all, save the Caravel...which comes close in volume. What is, for me unique about the MCAL shot is that a simple swirl of the glass to "incorporate the crema" isn't enough. To have the entire shot top to bottom blended as one, a brief stir is needed. I didn't find this necessary with the other machines. I believe it's due to the weaker spring, and quicker declining pressure. Once blended, the sweetness of the shot is good for both sips. Yep, about 30 grams, but excellent sweetness, more than I found even with the Caravel. YMMV

I've also found that the so-called "Fellini move" seems to work more successfully...at least for me than it did with the Caravel. I didn't find it necessary with the Cremina or Pavoni. With the MCAL Fellini 1.5 pull, the stir gave me about 36-38 grams with barely any degradation if flavor, and only a wee reduction in body. Body is not an MCAL's forte, as I've found, but MAN, it just rocks on medium light roasted single origin, even more than did the Strega. Again, I believe the lesser pressure overall is just gentler, and "relaxes" the acidity. I pulled a shot with some home roasted Panama Elida DP, and there were layers of fruit in that 30 gram shot. I've just roasted some Brazil Fazenda to go with the next and final batch of Elida. I've settled on (give or take a couple tenths of a gram) 16 grams in the double basket. A slightly coarser grind with a full 16 grams seems to just be sweeter than a smaller dose with a finer grind...at least at this point in my journey. Again, YMMV.

As to steaming, the dryness of the steam after maybe 2 seconds on is pretty amazing. My major issue with my Strega (I'll blame it on the operator :lol: )
was wet steam. Not so with the MCAL. I will say, that after a couple shots and steam prepared cappas, the water level does creep down there faster than I thought would happen.
A side note, maybe it's the experience of working with levers, but I found with the OEM baskets to have no shot quality issues from the get go. I will say, the MCAL wouldn't be my 1st choice for a beginner, who might be discouraged with it's style of shot...not a crema bomb, and not 40+ grams.

There's more, but I'd rather hear...and learn from other folks. Suggestions welcome. Though I read a LOT of MCAL threads prior to purchasing, and during it's restoration by "cuppajoe", I'm sure there are more nuggets of wisdom to be granted me. Thanks to my friend drgary for his advice as well.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Hi Rob,

You're welcome. I think these are great machines!

I think shot volume is over-rated. I love the flavor layering in the Microcasa. If you want thicker shots, then stop them sooner. During a brief test where I tried a Microcasa versus a Cremina I preferred the Microcasa shots because of the flavor layering. In the end barista skills can help you imitate one with the other if that floats your boat. But I like emphasizing the coffee once I've got an espresso machine and grinder dialed in. If someone wants a home spring lever with denser shots, I like the Ponte Vecchios (Export and Lusso). Their shots are truly smaller and need a double pull to equal the Microcasa. I did run my Microcasa with double and triple springs long ago and ended up swapping in a single, current spring (with new piston and piston rod) and preferred that. And yes, steaming is terrific on these.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

rpavlis

#3: Post by rpavlis »

I have to admit to being very fond of my Elektra MCAL!

The quarter turn from off to full on steam valve is ideal. The position of the steam tip is great. The group design makes the optimal pressure for espresso production similar to optimal for steam production. I, however, greatly prefer using single hole steam tips. Furthermore it is easy to make them.

The "build" quality is, in general very high. If one treat these machines properly, they should last for a very long time. Beware of polluted water, however!

IMAWriter (original poster)

#4: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

Dr Pavlis,
I read your thread regarding water quality and the MCAL. I am about to blend some water using your formula which I copy-pasted...hopefully no royalties due!!
Funny, my first 2 responders, both doctors, and thus far beyond my pay grade intellectually. That said, great coffee may be the equalizer! Ah heck, who am I fooling? :lol:

Yes, I LOVE the little half turn of the steam =knob...so simple, so...perfect. The one hole tip is intriguing, but so far I'm having no issues with the OEM tip even when steaming 3oz for the dreaded cortado! I love to go to a popular cafe and order a cortado, just to see the barista's reaction, but that's another story.

I'm performing my Fellini when the lever is about 60% of the way up. Does that sound correct, or should I do it sooner? I've experimented a bit, and usually where I re-cock the lever gives me JUST enough volume to satisfy my want for a bit more than 30 grams.

Thanks guys!

grog

#5: Post by grog »

I've never used an MCaL (or even seen one in person), but I do love spring levers for the separation and layering of flavor they provide. I go back and forth - sometimes I'm in a phase where I prefer direct levers, and then I go through times when I prefer spring levers. Broadly speaking, I prefer spring levers for SOs and direct levers for blends. But there are some SOs that shine on the Caravel...do you still have your Caravel, or did you move on from that to the MCaL?
LMWDP #514

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

I generally didn't do a Fellini with an MCAL. Just one delicious pull.
Gary
LMWDP#308

cuppajoe

#7: Post by cuppajoe »

Hi Rob -

While multiple pulls are sometimes done with manual levers, most of what I've come across regarding the Fellini Move refers specifically to spring levers. On the Faemina I usually do the second pull at the point where coffee is just starting to drip from the PF, the lever is usually about level when the grind is right.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

#8: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) replying to cuppajoe »

OK, than I'm a bit late, as there its usually a bit more than just some dripping, maybe 10-12 grams after a 8 second hold down and release to just above level.

#9: Post by IMAWriter (original poster) »

drgary wrote:I generally didn't do a Fellini with an MCAL. Just one delicious pull.
I only do it when I'm making a milk drink for the wife or friend...and only in the darkness of night, in secret! :lol:
" I swear your honor, I didn't put the sugar in the espresso!! I'm innocent I tell you, INNOCENT!!!" :lol:

Seriously drG, or anyone...why do you think this particular machine yields the sort of flavor profile it does. I do know that (at least for me) crema can contain bittering elements...not sure why,. so would it be the lesser brew pressure of the spring that "gentles down" the brewing process?
I wish I was a bit more mechanically oriented to figure these things out.

Edit...corrected tom "Bitter-ing."

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

I think it's declining pressure profile combined with a relatively soft spring to start with. That pressure profile would not underextract at the start or overextract at the end. Maybe there's temperature decline during the pull, which would also tend to not overextract. Just guessing. The Conti Prestina is the extreme example of this, being even more flavor layered.
Gary
LMWDP#308