Edesia Espress bottomless portafilter?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tony_M

#1: Post by Tony_M »

I'm looking for a bottomless portafilter for my Cremina. The Edesia Espress comes up on the bay at a MUCH more reasonable price than the OEM or even Naked. Has anyone dealt with Edesia before? Anyone have one of these?

Specs say it's chrome plated brass (which I like) and the bottom looks to be a bit wider opening so I think it will be easier to see than the OEM one.

TIA

-Tony
--------------
Tony M
Bronxville, NY
LMWDP #598

skansen

#2: Post by skansen »

Hi Tony,
Tony_M wrote:Has anyone dealt with Edesia before?
I have recently bought some stuff from them. Parcel was perfectly protected. Good quality. Now Edesia espresso glasses are my favorites.

russel

#3: Post by russel »

I purchased a Edesia 49mm bottomless for a Livietta refurb last year. You get what you pay for, and I was willing to accept less to pay less on a machine that was going to a friend at cost. I wouldn't being willing to accept less for my own equipment.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

Tony_M

#4: Post by Tony_M » replying to russel »

Hi Russel,

Could you expand a bit on "you get what you pay for"? I totally agree in most cases but as this is basically just being used as a clamp to hold a filter basket in place (and coffee never actually comes in contact with the portafilter) I'm wondering where they could have cut corners. Is the handle inadequate? Any obvious flaws in the casting or chrome plating?

Tony
--------------
Tony M
Bronxville, NY
LMWDP #598

Tony_M

#5: Post by Tony_M »

skansen wrote:Now Edesia espresso glasses are my favorites.
Okay, duly noted! I *really* don't need any more glassware and I certainly don't need to trigger any acquisition syndromes in that department so I'll try to avoid those pages on their website. :lol:
--------------
Tony M
Bronxville, NY
LMWDP #598

russel

#6: Post by russel »

Tony_M wrote:Hi Russel,

Could you expand a bit on "you get what you pay for"? I totally agree in most cases but as this is basically just being used as a clamp to hold a filter basket in place (and coffee never actually comes in contact with the portafilter) I'm wondering where they could have cut corners. Is the handle inadequate? Any obvious flaws in the casting or chrome plating?

Tony
Everything has been reduced to keep the cost down...lighter handle, thinner and lighter metal, shallower looking chrome...every last detail is cheaper, which is what I would expect for a PF that costs 1/3 of the price of the OEM and higher quality aftermarket options. It still holds the basket, but as the primary point of physical interaction with the machine I value tactile satisfaction over cost reduction
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

RobindG

#7: Post by RobindG »

I don't fully agree with Russel. No, it is not top notch. Mine has some scratches on one of the wings, the bottom inner rim is not perfectly round. But that's under the chrome. The chrome layer is thick, so those irregularities don't really show. It fits my Mina perfectly.

It's only like a third of the price of other after market portafilters. It won't make you bankrupt. Just order one and see for yourself. Don't forget to choose shipment with track and trace. The first one I ordered got lost.... :|

Tony_M

#8: Post by Tony_M »

Thanks Robin and Russel for your experiences. It's been a great help.

Normally, I'd agree with Russel and would look for the highest quality unit. But since I'm not really interested in using this forever, I don't think the lower quality will bother me. I just want to get a handle on how my shots are pulling and I'll go back to the stock "blind" portafilter once I'm satisfied my technique is good.

I only have one further question, will the MCAL double and/or stock OEM baskets fit in this unit or will it only accept the provided basket?

Thanks again!
--------------
Tony M
Bronxville, NY
LMWDP #598

yakster
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by yakster »

Many, maybe even most people who try a bottomless portafilter never go back to using a spouted one. Besides being able to watch your shot you also don't have to clean up the coffee stains on the portafilter.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Max9

#10: Post by Max9 »

If you are talking about the Edesia in the UK, I have bought 2 bottomless pf's from them, they are good value but they have quite a thick lip left on the base which affects the way the coffee leaves the portafilter, I invested in a high quality bottomless pf for my latest la pavoni and it makes a noticeable difference imho, so...