Early Holiday gift - La PAVONI PROFESSIONAL - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baristainzmking (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#51: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Gary,

Thanks for the link and the pictures. This is going to be the project for DH when he comes home. I am scared to even try to remove the sight glass cover. Mine is a newer model without the screws. Is there a way to take it out without breaking. doI gently squeeze and pull up or down?
Julia

baldheadracing
Team HB

#52: Post by baldheadracing »

I don't have a current machine, but this procedure from "Bong" looks good at first glance:
(I have the Pavoni plastic protector, but the protector doesn't lock in on the gen 1 sight glass mounts.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Supporter ♡

#53: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Hey Craig,

Thanks for the video! :D

Edited to say, that this removal is a pain! What genius designed this cover?!
Julia

drgary
Team HB

#54: Post by drgary »

The sightglass cover is a $15 part. Since it's meant to snap on, snapping it off won't break it. I believe that it's worth snapping it on and off yourself to develop confidence in servicing your machine. When I had my 3rd gen machine I would use a flat blade screwdriver to gently pry off where it established its grip.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Supporter ♡

#55: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Gary,

You were right, all that needed to be done is to tighten down the lower sightglass nut and not to over tighten it.

Thank you again.
Julia

Supporter ♡

#56: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Do you guys think I should add the group head pressure gage from coffee sensor.. It seems beneficial, just not sure if I need it....
Julia

baldheadracing
Team HB

#57: Post by baldheadracing replying to baristainzmking »

I put the BPlus version on mine, but plan on eventually removing it because I think gauges look ugly on this machine. I just want to develop the muscle memory for what 4bar, 6bar, 8bar, etc. feel like. So far, 8 bar is pulling with a lot of force, 4 bar is pulling too easy, and 6 bar feels just about right(*) - and pulling with what feels like a natural constant effort seems to lead to a declining pressure profile. I also plan on pulling with the Pavoni on my bathroom scale so I will have an approximation between scale reading and pressure reading for future reference.

I guess that the gauge could be useful in the long term for playing with profiles, but I have the Strega for that.

(* - I put an aftermarket wood Cremina lever handle on - the Cremina lever handle is about an inch longer than my gen 1 Pavoni handle so I have more leverage.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

drgary
Team HB

#58: Post by drgary »

baristainzmking wrote:Do you guys think I should add the group head pressure gage from coffee sensor.. It seems beneficial, just not sure if I need it....
Julia, I think you have a barista Robot. Do you use the gauge on it? Can you taste the difference when you follow the pressure gauge exactly? It's a personal choice.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Supporter ♡

#59: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) replying to drgary »

Yes, my robot is the barista version and I used to use it a lot, but now usually just go by the feel/muscle memory. Usually when shots are around 6 to 8 bars with declining profile they taste great. But I am also convinced the a robot can't pull a bad shot. Lol
Julia

mikelipino

#60: Post by mikelipino »

I'm with Gary. I also have a Robot w/ gauge and only give it a quick look to see my max pressure (usually 6-8) and then pay more attention to flow rate. On the EP, I was thinking about getting the gauge but likely won't. Since we have experience with what a good shot feels like on the Robot, it's not really necessary on the LPs. Especially if you're already pulling good shots off it! For me, a way to determine group temp (I use the Flair temp strip) affects the shot much more than differences in pressure profile.