Early Holiday gift - La PAVONI PROFESSIONAL - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baristainzmking (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Thanks Gary,

My pressure gage has a hard time staying at .8 bars. It is usually at .75 or closer to 1 bar...For now I have a temperature strip, and the temperature seems to fluctuate a bit. I realize the strip is not really accurate and may order the digital thermometer later. I am just not ready to take the machine apart to install the thermometer.

I will try the half pump technique and let my tastebuds do the talking. :lol:
Julia

drgary
Team HB

#42: Post by drgary »

You should be able to adjust the pressurestat, which is under the base. You'll want pressure to go up to 0.8 bar and not higher. From your response, the pressurestat is adjusted to reach 1.0 bar. Adjusting it downward makes it easier to control shot temp. This gives relatively lower steam power, but we've discussed that issue, and you're getting a one-hole tip.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#43: Post by drgary »

Also, Julia, you don't need to take the machine apart to install an external group thermometer unless there's one you buy online that requires it. All of my external group thermometers have a probe whose tip is held against the outside of the group using the o-ring from an Elektra Microcasa a Leva.

Why doesn't La Pavoni create an option for a group thermometer? I don't think they pay much attention to hobbyists, even though that is the only way to accurately control shot temperature.

Also, I think the temperature strips are sufficient. They just take some getting used to. When mine starts to indicate 90C, I start the shot for medium roasts, but I'm currently using a 1964 Europiccola.

Gary
LMWDP#308

Supporter ♡

#44: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Gary,

I appreciate all the help! I am going to adjust the pressure stat over the weekend. It will be my little project. I already changed the steam tip to a single hole and my mild steaming is slowly getting better. ;)

I made a decaf latte tonight and it actually tested good and didn't look too bad either.

Julia

ojt

#45: Post by ojt »

drgary wrote:Why doesn't La Pavoni create an option for a group thermometer? I don't think they pay much attention to hobbyists, even though that is the only way to accurately control shot temperature.
They are improving, little by little. We talked with the boss (CEO perhaps? can't remember the title) again at Host Milan and they were asking us (from the FB group) to leave our contact details, to maybe see and organize something. So yeah, they're trying to get closer to the users but I guess it takes some getting used to :)
Osku

Supporter ♡

#46: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

I understand there is a 20 gram IMS basket made for La Pavoni, but it requires a special bottomless portafilter. Have you guys used it? Did you like and where did you get it?
Julia

zan

#47: Post by zan replying to baristainzmking »

IMS: https://coffee-sensor.com/product/la-pa ... -pa2th29e/
and also laPavoni: https://coffee-sensor.com/product/la-pa ... e-2272018/

I have used IMS and works perfect, I think laPavoni is the same, made by IMS, but with logo.

Also very interesting shower-screen: https://coffee-sensor.com/product/ims-p ... pa200im54/

Advertisement
baldheadracing
Team HB

#48: Post by baldheadracing »

baristainzmking wrote:I understand there is a 20 gram IMS basket made for La Pavoni, but it requires a special bottomless portafilter. Have you guys used it? Did you like and where did you get it?
Given that you're in the USA, it is probably easier and also much less expensive to get the IMS PA2TH29E basket from Stefano's Espressocare in Oregon: https://www.espressocare.com/products/i ... millennium
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Supporter ♡

#49: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Hey guys,

I have a problem..my machine is leaking from the bottom of the glass part where you see the water level and the whole plastic part is fogged over and bubbles.

What could be the problem???

I tried to add a video but I can't add it to the post and I don't post videos to YouTube ans such..
Julia

drgary
Team HB

#50: Post by drgary »

Julia,

Hopefully it's no more than a need to tighten down the lower sightglass nut. You'll want to do that carefully. Tightening it expands a soft gasket that creates a seal. The plastic cover is a clip-in fitting unless it's an early one where it releases with a screw.

Here's a link where I describe that assembly. This photo shows how the parts fit together.

Gary
LMWDP#308