Early Holiday gift - La PAVONI PROFESSIONAL - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
baristainzmking (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Your latte art looks great, very impressive!
Julia

BKH

#32: Post by BKH »

With my europiccola I adopted the suggestion to heat the steam wand by purging steam for several seconds then waiting about 5 more seconds for the heating light to go off before steaming. I think this helps. I also have the single hole tip.

Nice setup! Enjoy.

Supporter ♡

#33: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Learning to use the three hole steam tip while I am waiting on a single hole one. This is also the first time I am splitting the shot.

Julia

drgary
Team HB

#34: Post by drgary »

Very nice!
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ojt

#35: Post by ojt »

Here's a single hole version from this morning. Went a bit too thick. I never mastered the 3 holer but I see exceptional results in FB by some so I know it can be done :)

Osku

Supporter ♡

#36: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Looks really good!
Julia

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#37: Post by baldheadracing »

FYI, I just noticed Orphan Espresso has a single hole tip for $7.50 https://www.orphanespresso.com/La-Pavon ... c_200.html

Supporter ♡

#38: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Thanks for the link!
Julia

Supporter ♡

#39: Post by baristainzmking (original poster) »

Hey guys,

Circling back to say that I am finding the learning curve with this machine to be pretty steep! My shots just taste off compared to the shots from Bianca and robot. I have tried going hotter and going cooler with the group head. I have tried with the Fellini move and without and they are just taste strange.

All advice welcome! :D
Julia

drgary
Team HB

#40: Post by drgary »

Julia,

The easiest way to do this is to keep experimenting by taste. Once you find the offset between your measured group temperature and what your tastebuds tell you, you'll be all set. You'll want pressure set at about 0.8 bar so that the machine cruises below brewing temperature. Then use half pumps that don't release water through the bottom of the group but move water through the top to get it to the desired start temperature, measured with an external thermometer or temperature strip. While pulling the shot expect the externally measured temperature to soar above that. This is normal and is the group acting as a heat sink.

Alternatively you could sacrifice a filter basket by drilling a small hole in it and feed in a thin wire thermocouple so the tip is at the top of the coffee cake. Measure brew temperature versus externally measured temperature at the start of the shot and you will have your offset.

When you dial it in just once, you'll have the feel of it. I can't tell you the exact offset between external temperature and internal temperature because that will vary, depending on where you place the thermometer probe or the temperature strip.

FWIW I am able to get consistently temperature-controlled shots and have done so for a long time, not because I have special talents for doing this but because I simply found the offset.

Some people expect that group temperature needs to be very stable to achieve a good shot. That's not the case. There's a tolerable zone or people wouldn't be enjoying La Pavoni home levers and Olympia Express Creminas for all of these years. You might be interested in the FAQs Levers posts about Olympia Express Cremina temperature studies that were done long ago by Denis Basaric, creator of the Kafatek Monolith grinders. He measured internal temperature to show that it is pretty steady during the pull, so the outside-of-the-group measurement is misleading while the heat sinks.

Olympia Cremina Temperature Study, Part 1
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!