Does the Paul Pratt Robot remind you of an improved Rok? What are the pluses?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
Tonefish

#1: Post by Tonefish »

I've been digging through the Paul Pratt "something brewing" thread and found some videos, and I can't help but be reminded of the Rok with some clear improvements. For one, I see a lot more metal instead of plastic. It would be really nice to see a summary of just what are the improvements? Is someone keeping tally, or has Paul pointed to these?

BTW I didn't want to start a new thread but I got a warning about too many posts in the old thread, so hopefully here's a clarifying new one.
LMWDP #581 .......... May your roasts, grinds, and pulls be the best!

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Actually a far more relevant comparison is between the Faemina Baby and the Robot. Keep in mind that Paul is a master restorer of vintage, golden age espresso machines, which are made of robust materials and are usually of very high quality. The Robot looks very similar to the Faemina Baby. I can't tell you the differences or improvements, but Paul has stated that his is an all metal device, so he's following the tradition. ROK is a modern adaptation that doesn't have the fidelity to traditional design and materials you'll find in the Robot.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

samuellaw178
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by samuellaw178 »

I agree with Dr Gary. The PP Robot lever is a replication of Faema Baby with modern manufacturing technology.

The improvement of Robot over Faema Baby are (i) stainless steel water path contact, instead of aluminium (ii) availability of seal (was difficult to source for Faema Baby) (iii) Possibility of adding pressure gauge. Rok was sort of a new tech, borrowing some concept from Faema Baby. The Robot is closer in root to the Faema Baby.

I started a Faema Baby thread years ago with some dissaembly pics of the machine. You can have a look, it's a very simple machine and worked really well in my experience. I imagine the Robot is similar with some improvement. There was also some comment on the Rok vs Faema Baby, and the consensus the Faema Baby is more robust and better in use.

Faema Baby Faemina crema caffè, the 1960s pour-over manual lever documentation

In that Baby thread I also raised the following question, and it seemed Paul has taken on the challenge!
I wonder would it be economical to reproduce these? Since they're just alloy/metal mostly. Especially when the Chinese seems to be able to reproduce almost everything, and cheaper than the 'originals'. :mrgreen: *just kidding*

Tonefish (original poster)

#4: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Actually a far more relevant comparison is between the Faemina Baby and the Robot. Keep in mind that Paul is a master restorer of cvintage, golden age espresso machines, which are made of robust materials and are usually of very high quality. The Robot looks very similar to the Faemina Baby. I can't tell you the differences or improvements, but Paul has stated that his is an all metal device, so he's following the tradition. ROK is a modern adaptation that doesn't have the fidelity to traditional design and materials you'll find in the Robot.
Ok, thank you! I'll have to research the Faemina Baby. I saw a Faema Baby is it (redbone's?), that looked really cool but not a dual symmetric lever like this. I understand there are two similarly named devices and I have only seen the one. I'll have to keep digging. I did not intend any disrespect for Paul's work. It clearly looks heaps above a Rok. I also tried to kill this thread once I realized it is more about my ignorance than Paul's creation, but the "system" wouldn't let me.

#5: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

samuellaw178 wrote:I started a Faema Baby thread years ago with some dissaembly pics of the machine. You can have a look, it's a very simple machine and worked really well in my experience. I imagine the Robot is similar with some improvement. There was also some comment on the Rok vs Faema Baby, and the consensus the Faema Baby is more robust and better in use.

Faema Baby Faemina crema caffè, the 1960s pour-over manual lever documentation

In that Baby thread I also raised the following question, and it seemed Paul has taken on the challenge!
Here we go ... off to get educated. Thanks for the link!!!

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Tonefish wrote: I did not intend any disrespect for Paul's work. It clearly looks heaps above a Rok. I also tried to kill this thread once I realized it is more about my ignorance than Paul's creation, but the "system" wouldn't let me.
Questions are allowed! :lol: Now you know, and others seeking the same comparison can find this thread and learn. I believe Faema Baby and Faemina Baby are the same thing. I'm calling it the latter based on the label on the first version.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

#7: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

Now I get it. That shot Jack pulled in the video at that link looked great. Made me have to go pull another one! :lol:

leozava
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by leozava »

all this talk of faemina babies made me want to take one of mine out pull a couple shots. :mrgreen:

#9: Post by Tonefish (original poster) »

leozava wrote:all this talk of faemina babies made me want to take one of mine out pull a couple shots. :mrgreen: <image>
Looks great!

grog

#10: Post by grog »

Those shots look great. I could never get those kind of results with my Faema Baby.
LMWDP #514