Do you keep parts on hand?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
AMac

#1: Post by AMac » Dec 03, 2019, 10:53 pm

Are there any parts that you keep on hand or do you order them when needed? Like for the commercial levers an extra set of piston seals, a portafilter gasket, or an anti vacuum valve. Those are the only things I've replaced in the last two years but there are probably some I've overlooked.

A list like this would have been more helpful before all the sales, but there's always next year.

MNate

#2: Post by MNate » Dec 03, 2019, 11:02 pm

Me, just the anti-vac. And I wish I had an extra extra right now because the new one I just put in isn't quite sealing as well as I would like it... little spits of steam...

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by baldheadracing » Dec 03, 2019, 11:07 pm

I just keep a spare machine on hand ... well, a few spare machines :oops:

As for the anti-vac, try taking it apart and cleaning it. An anti-vac should last for decades.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

BaristaBoy E61

#4: Post by BaristaBoy E61 » Dec 04, 2019, 12:47 am

I just keep a spare group gasket and a supply of citric acid on hand.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

DeGaulle

#5: Post by DeGaulle » replying to BaristaBoy E61 » Dec 04, 2019, 3:23 am

+1 for the group gasket (I order three spares upfront) and a set of softener cartridges.
Bert

Nick111
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nick111 » Dec 04, 2019, 4:21 am

group gasket

DaveC

#7: Post by DaveC » Dec 04, 2019, 6:56 am

Generic spares
pack of 20 group gaskets (change every 6 months)
Autofill Solenoid (Generic)
Shower Screens
Rotary pump head
Gicar RL30 control box
Vacuum brakers (about 3 or 4)
Memory metal vacuum breakers
Safety valves
Pressure gauge (Orman Generic)
E61 rebuild parts, cams, seals, teflon gaskets, valves, springs, Viton gaskets, especially the pairs of lever stem gaskets
Compression steam and water valve stems with seals
Actuator switch that E61 lever arm operates
Mater XP110 pressurestat

Years ago I did a huge trade order with Nuova Ricambi (I split it with 3 friends). I figured with all the usual parts on hand, "sods law" says I would not get any faults that need them. Apart from consumables, all that money I spent has resulted in a huge decrease in the number of faults experienced ;) so I still have most of it never used in 10+ years. The parts get older and less used in many modern machines as well :(

Then I have some specific non generic spares, e.g. Izzo PID Unit (up to MK3 machines), Complex Gicar control box, Gicar Display etc..

I do also keep 4 or so spare machines on hand...but tend not to use them....unless I'm performing annual maintenance on a machine that needs more than a clean and inspect.

C-Antonio

#8: Post by C-Antonio » Dec 04, 2019, 9:16 am

Depending on the machine I get spares, sometimes because I dont know if I will find them later on and sometimes because they are already hard to find and I stumble across them... I dont keep stuff that I can find with just a trip to a store ( I already have enough junk at this point)
I stopped keeping the gaskets because I had some that got old just sitting there unused.
DaveC wrote: with all the usual parts on hand, "sods law" says I would not get any faults that need them.
Yep, that rule never fails... selling off the spares seem to break the originals soon after also... a "quantum entanglement of spares"
“Eh sì sì sì…sembra facile (fare un buon caffè)!”

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. » Dec 04, 2019, 10:30 am

For my Speedster I have pretty much one or more of any part that might fail. Bosco spares include group seals, vacuum valves, hot water/steam valve seal kits. Since it has a manual fill valve I don't stock the control box & fill solenoid.
LMWDP 267

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Nunas » Dec 04, 2019, 8:31 pm

None, for either the grinder or the espresso machine. When something dies I switch over to another grinder or means to make coffee until I can get the part(s) I need. I used to keep group-head gaskets until I discovered the Cafelat silicone ones. I do have an accumulation of a few miscellaneous PFs and baskets, but not really bought as "spares".