Do 49.5mm puck screens fit the Elektra Microcasa a Leva baskets?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
boren

#1: Post by boren »

And do they improve the shot?

Is there any significant difference between the Bplus screen and the cheaper ones that are sold on aliexpress, bluestarcoffee.eu and other sites?

Thanks!

Jonk

#2: Post by Jonk »

The one bluestarcoffee.eu sells looks like a basic metal aeropress filter. I don't think it will work nearly as well as a multi-layered mesh.
If you want to try it out you could just cut out some filter paper and put on top of the puck. It can improve dispersion, provide a small amount of extra resistance and keep the group cleaner.

truemagellen
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by truemagellen »

boren wrote:And do they improve the shot?

Is there any significant difference between the Bplus screen and the cheaper ones that are sold on aliexpress, bluestarcoffee.eu and other sites?

Thanks!
Yes it fits great I've used for over a year with mcal. The sintered stainless screens like this work great and are a good combo of what paper and simple stainless holed discs accomplish.

If you are using for daily machine I would buy from reputable supplier as there is risk an unknown supplier could be using contaminated/recycled material to produce the screen and it is in the hot water brew path.

boren (original poster)

#4: Post by boren (original poster) »

Jonk wrote:The one bluestarcoffee.eu sells looks like a basic metal aeropress filter. I don't think it will work nearly as well as a multi-layered mesh.
Why would a screen with what looks like hundreds of holes (I didn't count) be worse compared to the mesh? If anything, it looks easier to clean.

For reference, bluestarcoffee.eu filter is on the left, the one from aliexpress is on the right:

I'd rather no DIY but have a reusable solution that doesn't require (my) efforts to create.

boren (original poster)

#5: Post by boren (original poster) »

truemagellen wrote:Yes it fits great I've used for over a year with mcal. The sintered stainless screens like this work great and are a good combo of what paper and simple stainless holed discs accomplish.
That's good to know. Thanks for confirming.
If you are using for daily machine I would buy from reputable supplier as there is risk an unknown supplier could be using contaminated/recycled material to produce the screen and it is in the hot water brew path.
The screen from aliexpress.com is claimed to be made from "SUS 316", the one from bluestarcoffee.eu from "single layer stainless steel 316 sheet". I assume both are the same material, but they look very different.

LObin

#6: Post by LObin »

I have the coffee-sensor puck screen that I use with the Mcal basket on my LPE. It works great.

I also have the 58.5mm Coffee-Sensor as well as the Flair58 for my Londinium. The Flair58 is a tad cleaner but it sometimes behave weird on my commercial lever. It also seems to have more impact on temperature and you need to be more careful with headspace with it vs the coffee-sensor.

I can vouch for the 49.5mm coffee-sensor puck screen.

Cheers!
LMWDP #592

Eyal

#7: Post by Eyal »

While cant speak about fit and quality of other puck screens, I bought the bplus puck screen 2 month ago and i can speak only good about it. I had a "buying remorse" after seeing much cheaper options(alliexpress etc) out there but as time pass it turned out to be one of the best upgrades i made to my lpe post millenium. A Very sturdy quality piece and it stopped my channeling problem for good. I would buy it again if needed