DIY Teflon Boiler Heat Break for older Olympia Cremina - Page 6

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#51: Post by drgary »

Still fine tuning* too. Just reset PSTAT to range between 0.6 and 0.95 bar and am getting mid 170's F temps on the outside of the group. I've gone to a 1/32 (slightly thicker) Teflon gasket with a hole cut in the middle slightly narrower than this for a bit more heat transfer.

The other gaskets I removed showed a compression indentation where the group o-ring was seated.

* Fine tuning here = achieving close to ideal walk up temp so fewer half pumps reach shot temp on most coffees and the group doesn't overheat more than can be cooled with a Penney portafilter dipped in room temperature water.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

spaz2

#52: Post by spaz2 »

Gary, Sherman
Do have have one of OE's "third shot" cooling devises? If not perhaps you can get OE to dig around and come up with one. If you haven't seen it, it is a 210 gram hunk of aluminum shaped to replicate a portafilter without the handle. I'm using that in conjunction with the gasket adjusted idle temp. The third shot devise will drop the group temp several degrees in a few seconds eliminating the need to cool the portafilter.

As I'm still experimenting with all of this minor modification (having fun and seeing new ideas as a result of the experiments ). I'm feeling that there may not be a perfect idle temp but just a couple of ranges that's better than just t. f. hot. :) I don't have as wide of range knowledge as you guys when it comes to the right temps for many different beans but unless I'm missing something (likely) the cooling devise may be a good addition, even though we can always cool the portafilter.

Just some thoughts. I know we all have different techniques.

tom

drgary
Team HB

#53: Post by drgary »

No Third Shot needed when I cool the portafilter.
Gary
LMWDP#308

Sherman

#54: Post by Sherman »

JohnB. wrote:This (176*-178*F) is exactly the idle temp range I get using the $9.50 factory gasket.
Damn you for doing it the easy way ;)

How are you tuning for cooler/hotter shots? half-pumps? I've also noticed that running with the stock portafilter engaged drops idle temp by 3-4F, but haven't tested idle with the Penney and as of yet haven't run shot trials. That's on the list for the next few weeks.
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#55: Post by JohnB. »

I only use the Penny bottomless, the stock p/f has been on the shelf since I bought the machine. I use the half pump method to bring the group up to shot temp. Typically takes two to go from idle to 185*F for an average temp shot. The group temp drops back fairly quickly after a shot but if I'm in a hurry I'll rinse the p/f under cold water & lock it in.
LMWDP 267

spaz2

#56: Post by spaz2 »

drgary wrote:No Third Shot needed when I cool the portafilter.
I see now that the third shot is old news to you. It's a choice of technique.

tom

drgary
Team HB

#57: Post by drgary »

Thanks, Tom. I think the Third Shot is useful if you don't have the machine tuned up so you're experiencing extreme overheating. With a properly set PSTAT and a heat break gasket* especially I don't think it's needed.

* If installing a do-it-yourself heat break gasket instead of a factory spec part, for safety, be sure to install bolts that are longer by at least the extra thickness of the gasket. You'll want to have the bolt turn in by six full threads of engagement into the boiler, keeping in mind that any modifications to factory specification are taken at your risk as per the terms of use that you agree to when accessing this site.
Gary
LMWDP#308

spaz2

#58: Post by spaz2 »

drgary wrote:Thanks, Tom. I think the Third Shot is useful if you don't have the machine tuned up so you're experiencing extreme overheating. With a properly set PSTAT and a heat break gasket especially I don't think it's needed.
Gary,
Not to beat this minor point to death but I don't exactly agree with your assumption. Perhaps you're just remembering the original intent of the third shot when it was introduced in late 2011. As you know from reading, I have my pstat set low and am using a gasket to chose an idle temp range as well. If I need to drop the group temp a few degrees for whatever reason I attach the third shot, turn around and dump the preheat hot water from the cup and the group temp is down. With the heat break gasket, it's that quick. No fussing with removing the PF basket, going to sink to cool the PF, installing the PF, waiting, reinstalling the basket and so on.
See, it's just a difference in perception and individual technique. :) And perhaps differences in work spaces. (I'm permitted a small corner in the Chefs kitchen..)

tom

drgary
Team HB

#59: Post by drgary »

spaz2 wrote:See, it's just a difference in perception and individual technique. :) And perhaps differences in work spaces.
Agreed. I should have written that I don't need it. If I didn't have a sink handy I would fill a cup with water and dip the portafilter in it. But I'm not usually pulling shots back to back, so I just leave the portafilter out. Currently my Cremina is tuned to coast in the mid-180's F at the outside of the group and I can walk up and pull shots with very few half pumps. After a shot locking in a cool PF brings it back within range very quickly.
Gary
LMWDP#308

sonnyhad

#60: Post by sonnyhad »

Some very good information here guys, thank you for taking the time to share it with others!! Very much appreciated!!
LMWDP 437