DIY Commercial Group Manual Lever (now with videos) - Page 5

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pizzaman383 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#41: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

Stephane_Paris wrote:You don't seem to apply such force to put down the lever :shock:

Interesting :)
For those interested in how this is possible, the lever on this group provides a 15x1 mechanical advantage and it is pushing a 50mm diameter piston. The lever is 280mm long to point where I press. I can't remember the proper formula. Anybody else remember?

I do know that I can press hard enough blow past the group seal (tested usubg water and a scace-like orifice).
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

jpender

#42: Post by jpender »

With a 50mm diameter you need to apply 45 pounds for each bar of pressure. A 15:1 advantage reduces that to 3 pounds per bar. My manual lever, a Robot, requires about twice as much force.

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) » replying to jpender »

Thanks! That perspective is very helpful.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

Stephane_Paris

#44: Post by Stephane_Paris »

jpender wrote:With a 50mm diameter you need to apply 45 pounds for each bar of pressure. A 15:1 advantage reduces that to 3 pounds per bar. My manual lever, a Robot, requires about twice as much force.
The spring of my Strega if Soo powerfull so :shock:
LMWDP #588.

Bluecold
Supporter ♡

#45: Post by Bluecold »

If you can blow past the seal with just hand pressure your seal is compromised. A seal such as that should hold 100 bars without breaking a sweat. Any hydraulic bottle jack also has a thin ring holding the pressure in, and those need to hold in much much more pressure.
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

truemagellen

#46: Post by truemagellen »

This is a much better idea than trying to find a La Pavoni Pub with its wonky thermosyphon and limited boiler size

bravo!

Supporter ♡

#47: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

Bluecold wrote:If you can blow past the seal with just hand pressure your seal is compromised. A seal such as that should hold 100 bars without breaking a sweat. Any hydraulic bottle jack also has a thin ring holding the pressure in, and those need to hold in much much more pressure.
who said it was just hand pressure? I was curious how far I could take the pressure so I locked my arms/chest and leaned a significant amount of my body weight into it.

but you may be right that my gasket could be in need of replacing.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
naked-portafilter

#48: Post by naked-portafilter »

Unfortunately, we are under extreme pressure now but sometimes in the coming weeks/months :-( we will most definitely mod our first prototype yoke and a fork to see how it works. I like this group head a lot and it will be fun to get to know it even better.