DIY Commercial Group Manual Lever (now with videos) - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
pizzaman383 (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#31: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

I was hoping that this would catch Gabor's interest :D! I had his kit in mind as I think a manual lever with pressure measurement is a fantastic combination. I won't consider this project a success if it doesn't work with his parts. I am pretty confident because I don't see any reason it won't work.

I have made some pretty comprehensive measurements and will now start working on a CAD model.

Once the CAD work is done I plan on 3D printing a test part. My brother has just finished setting up and tuning his new printer so he's interested in giving it a workout.

BTW, my brother is an espresso geek, too. In fact, we are identical twins who found out that we had both been into espresso for years when he read some of my early posts on home-barista. This has become my craziest identical twin story. He uses a heavily modified, double PID Gaggia classic.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

beer&mathematics

#32: Post by beer&mathematics »

This is getting (even more) interesting!
LMWDP #431

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
Supporter ♡

#33: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

Here is a video of this in action:
Curtis
LMWDP #551

Supporter ♡

#34: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

pham wrote:Have you found that you can pull long shots without fellini move and risking puck lifting?
Here is a second video showing a larger shot volume :
Curtis
LMWDP #551

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by baldheadracing »

This is sooo awesome.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

Supporter ♡

#36: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

After considering options I think I will focus on describing how others can do the mod themselves. The two parts involved (the ring/yoke and the lever fork) are easily available to either modify or to revert back.

Mu plan now is to post some accurate measurements of the key dimensions of my modified parts.
Curtis
LMWDP #551

mikel

#37: Post by mikel »

Very cool mod Curtis! Thanks for sharing.

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by pizzaman383 (original poster) »

Here is a diagram showing the modifications I made.

The position of the new hole (the one outlined in red) was made as close to the edge of the bearing hole without the edge of the drill going into the bearing hole.

The top edge of the slotted ring was taken down to approximately 4mm and the front edge of the ring was taken down to approximately 3mm.

I removed approximately 6mm from top inside edge of the channel within the lever fork.

This combination of modifications worked to give the correct lever action and piston movement with sufficient clearance between the parts. The two short red lines show where there is contact between the lever fork and the slotted ring that I tweaked to have the lever stop with the piston at the right level in the cylinder.

Please note that the sizes of your parts may be slightly different so take the amount of metal removed and the sizes of the finished parts as approximate. The position of the hole is what determines the piston movement (except for the final lever stopping point) so the goal of the metal removal is to provide sufficient clearance to allow proper lever movement.

Curtis
LMWDP #551

Stephane_Paris

#39: Post by Stephane_Paris »

You don't seem to apply such force to put down the lever :shock:

Interesting :)
LMWDP #588.

Giampiero

#40: Post by Giampiero »

Pizzaman383, that's amazing.
Few years ago i was thinking to modify a spring group to realize a coffee tamper, but i never dedicated enough time to make it real, your project is really brilliant.