Diving in - '77 La Pavoni Europiccola restoration

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
jpschust
Supporter

#1: Post by jpschust »

Hey folks:

Whelp I got my hands on a 1977 La Pavoni Europiccola. It's got some neglect on it, but I've seen worse.

Have a few questions for you all that I figured folks might be able to help with:

1. The 1977's used a 3 way toggle switch and mine is missing that switch. My google fu is coming up short in finding that switch to handle a replacement

2. The base is showing a bit of rust, but not bad- are people doing the typical wire brush, then sand trick to remove the rust? It doesn't seem super deep and I'd hate to lose the finish on these super 70's looking coated bronze bases.

3. What are folks using to restore the chrome on their la pavonis? I know Barkeeper's friend makes a gentle version, but I could also use any of the chrome bumper kind of cleaners or whatever. Again it's not terrible, but there's some water spotting and age showing here that I suspect a thorough buffing will get out.

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Congratulations on your find!

1. Francesco Ceccarelli has the switch repair posted here:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... re_eng.htm

2. It would help to show a photo of the base you're trying to repair, but if you can remove the rust entirely and use a rust coating paint (under the base, I assume), that should achieve your goal. A wire brush is a good start. There are treatments that resolve rust without further abrasion.

3. I would use Simichrome but do so sparingly because it can remove too much chrome plating.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ojt

#3: Post by ojt »

Not going to be much help but I'll still chime in. So I have a new machine, dated 2017, and I just recently did a rust control job under the base. There was some surface rust already starting to pile up and I decided to sand out as much as I could and applied some "rust converter" product on it. Then I also put in some PTFE / maintenance spray for good measure, this is based on a tip by a seasoned Pavoni technician on the Facebook group.

Hoping this treatment will keep the base from rusting..

Good luck with the restoration!
Osku

jpschust (original poster)
Supporter

#4: Post by jpschust (original poster) »

drgary wrote:Congratulations on your find!

1. Francesco Ceccarelli has the switch repair posted here:

http://www.francescoceccarelli.eu/La_Pa ... re_eng.htm
Thanks for this! I actually need to find the rocker switch- the wiring is in tact, the warming light and frame to the switch is there, but the rocker switch is missing.

Randy G.

#5: Post by Randy G. »

If the rust is on the underside of the base, I used a product called Marhyde (iirc) on an old car. It is water based and, for lack of a better description, turned the rust to a metal-like surface ready for painting. I don't know if it is still around, but look for "rust conversion coating" and you should finger something similar.
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
*20th Anniversary 2000-2020*

jpschust (original poster)
Supporter

#6: Post by jpschust (original poster) »

Just in case someone comes across this thread in the future- the part I was looking for is this: Switch, Cherry # CRE24F2HBBNE
★ Helpful