Disadvantages of a Spring Lever Espresso Machine - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
cafemolino

#31: Post by cafemolino »

guess the user is the biggest disadvantage of a SLEM. However if the user is all about coffee and willing to spend time with a learning curve, Lever machines are capable to deliver best espressos / coffees.

They are like a music instrument, long short PI, short long shots and so on.

Spring lever do the half job, whereas manual levers only give/do what the user does.
Spring levers are quite big except MCL, Manual Levers are small.

Recommendation, find a store where you can touch, see and try the machines, then you'll find the one you like to have or not.

FezFernando (original poster)

#32: Post by FezFernando (original poster) »

cafemolino wrote: Recommendation, find a store where you can touch, see and try the machines, then you'll find the one you like to have or not.
Anywhere within driving distance of Indiana that you can recommend a hands-on experience with a spring lever machine?

Advertisement

#33: Post by FezFernando (original poster) »

Almico wrote:Levers look cool and are very romantic, but if they are so great, how come every coffee shop doesn't have one? How come there are so many LM Lineas all over the place? I'd been in 100 coffee shops in my area over the years and never saw one lever machine. Clearly, there must be a reason.
In a commercial environment, I can understand using a volumetric machine as it allows the output to be adjusted and to be consistent between shots. But other than that, I don't see why more shops don't have lever machines.

chappcc

#34: Post by chappcc »

You may want to take a look at this site https://www.kaffeewiki.de/wiki/Handhebelbr%C3%BChgruppe, which is a pretty comprehensive resource on spring lever espresso machines. If you use Chrome browser, you can get a fairly good translation into English.

cafemolino

#35: Post by cafemolino »

FezFernando wrote:Anywhere within driving distance of Indiana that you can recommend a hands-on experience with a spring lever machine?
its difficult to say for me. Sure someone from the US can help you.

#36: Post by FezFernando (original poster) »

chappcc wrote:You may want to take a look at this site https://www.kaffeewiki.de/wiki/Handhebelbr%C3%BChgruppe
Thanks. That is a great site. Interestingly, some of the machines that are levers in that wiki, turn up as volumetric in the US market. It continues to reinforce my choice of the Profitec Pro 800. To me it seems the best spring lever for the price. The other is the Londium, but I don't care to deal with importing it.

Almico

#37: Post by Almico »

FezFernando wrote:In a commercial environment, I can understand using a volumetric machine as it allows the output to be adjusted and to be consistent between shots. But other than that, I don't see why more shops don't have lever machines.
Actually, a spring lever machine is the ultimate volumetric espresso machine. You only get one volume.

Advertisement
RyanP

#38: Post by RyanP »

FezFernando wrote:Thanks. That is a great site. Interestingly, some of the machines that are levers in that wiki, turn up as volumetric in the US market. It continues to reinforce my choice of the Profitec Pro 800. To me it seems the best spring lever for the price. The other is the Londium, but I don't care to deal with importing it.

I don't say this to steer you away from the Pro 800. Awesome machine. But having the Londinium delivered into the states is a non-issue. I want to say I had mine within a week of ordering. But yea, follow your gut. You'll be super happy either way.

#39: Post by FezFernando (original poster) »

RyanP wrote:...having the Londinium delivered into the states is a non-issue. I want to say I had mine within a week of ordering.
Not only the shipping, but I'm also concerned about state-side support. Plus it's at least $500 more than the Profitec and would require a plumbing kit when I finally get around to plumbing it in.

RyanP

#40: Post by RyanP »

FezFernando wrote: Not only the shipping, but I'm also concerned about state-side support. Plus it's at least $500 more than the Profitec and would require a plumbing kit when I finally get around to plumbing it in.
I'm sure you're going to love the Pro 800 8)