Differences in flavor between espresso and AeroPress - Page 4

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.

#31: Post by jpender »

Jonk wrote:The grounds seem to absorb only slightly less water than its own weight. 35.3g in, 75g brewing water yielded 40.7g out at ~9.6% strength.
Actually the grounds would have absorbed *more* than their original weight. Remember that while you started with 75g of water you actually got about 83g of liquid because of ~8g of dissolved solids. So there would have been about 42g of liquid coffee trapped in the grounds. I've been able to get out a little more of the trapped liquid by really pressing hard at the end and also remembering to collect the half spoonful or so that inevitably gets stuck in the Aeropress cap.

Jonk wrote:I think the extraction is actually high, but basically half of the shot is left behind with the grinds since they're not diluted like with espresso or drip and the brew water is so much less than a normal infusion brew.
The fact that you were able to get it to work with double the grounds suggests that your Aeropress extraction was a little higher. The numbers I get are 22.7% immersion extraction with your Aeropress versus 22.1% with your espresso machine.

Thanks for reporting this experiment.


#32: Post by jpender »

Jonk wrote:I was using 202F/94C water since I thought it would extract more. In what way would 176F/80C benefit extraction, or is it just a way to limit bitterness?
Exactly. It takes too long to press so overextracted flavors are hard to avoid, except by grinding more coarsely, which reduces total extraction. By dropping the temperature you can extract pretty high without the bitterness. It depends on the coffee but with a darker roast I've gotten 25% extraction -- quite drinkable -- with my Aeropress that way.

Jonk wrote:5. I'd use a Bellman to make faux espresso. CX-25/CX-25P is like a Bialetti Brikka with more control and fairly decent results.. OR just buy the Cafelat Robot - in my experience it's worth it for flavour, ease of use/maintenance and long term savings.
I used a Brikka for years as my "espresso" substitute. I got 60ml shots in the 5-7% range. I liked the Brikka coffee a lot and found it very forgiving and easy to control. When I got a Robot I intended to do a side by side comparison of the shots. But the Robot shot quality was such an obvious, in your face improvement that I still haven't done this comparison. It's been over ten months since I got my Robot and last touched my Brikka. I really should get it out and do the side by side test... but not today. Nope.

garyk (original poster)

#33: Post by garyk (original poster) »

MK1 wrote:Personally, my favorite milk drink is a cortado, and there would be too much liquid with the Aeropress. I love the Aeropress for strong coffee, but in milk drinks, it waters them down too much.
I don't do the inverted method and only add water to 2 or 3, depending on the cup I'm filling. So it is not diluted too much with milk drinks.


#34: Post by Jakuka »

vit wrote:Really? Never happened on mine, and as I said, a number of times I went to pressure that started opening the security valve...


After hearing about others having the same 'explosive' experiences that I did I had always assumed it was the nature of the machine. However, reading your comments really had curious as to whether something else going on. You've indicated twice now that the security valve is a reliable indicator for you as to when the steamer is ready. This wasn't the case for me. I was getting very trace amounts steam coming out from the valve--- an amount that would easily go unnoticed. So...I tried propping the steamer up in the corner, on its side, with the handle pointing down. Then I placed a few drops of white vinegar inside of the valve and let it set for a few hours. Afterwards I gave it a quick rinse and filled it up to give it a little test. Bingo...that seemed to do the trick. I'm now getting a significant amount of steam coming from the valve once the unit is ready.

Not really sure how the valve would have gotten stuck to begin with. Aesthetically speaking the unit still in like new condition, inside and out, as I only use it for guests. Although, maybe it's possible that going several weeks between uses may have contributed to mineral deposits or the valve mechanism freezing up....I don't really know. Visually, it looked clean. But anyway, this definitely kicks the Bellman up a notch for me in terms of user friendliness. Before I found myself wishing it had a pressure gauge to make it easier to monitor with having to man the stove. I was ready to consider modding the steamer to add a gauge. But with the valve working properly I don't think it's needed. Thanks for chiming in about that....otherwise I may not have considered investigating further. :D


#35: Post by vit »

So it was actually stuck security valve? Nice that you fixed it. I did measure the temperature of opening of the valve and it was quite precise, between 152 and 154°C measured by the probe put near the security valve, which is about 5 bar (it's very unlikely that the probe measured higher temperature than inside the steamer). I don't like the idea of having a vessel with 5bar near my head, but it happened a number of times that it reached opening pressure just in the middle of the pull with Flair, as my induction stove heats it very fast. Usually I start steaming before the valve starts opening, as there is more than enough pressure

However, I have a new version of the tip with 2 holes, which I drilled from original diameter (around 0.8mm) to about 1.2mm, as it looked too small for me (didn't even try steaming before that), so steam is surely stronger at the same pressure. At work, I was used to steam the milk on the office superauto that has 2l boiler and 3 x 1.5mm hole tip ...